TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Hey, this is a good idea...looks like it sorta fell by the wayside for a few months...I say we wake up this thread and get some torts rescued.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Eddie89

5 Year Member
http://orlando.craigslist.org/for/4223384110.html

ANYONE IN THE CENTRAL FLORIDA AREA PLEASE HELP FIND THIS GUY A HOME!!

He looks to be in pretty bad shape and as you can tell from the picture he and text he is in a 20 gallon aquarium :/

I sent the guy an email saying that he should be paying someone to take the poor fella away from him considering how neglected he looks. If anyone can find him/her a home please do I would but I have two Leo's and don't have the space for a sulcata.

THCafe

Bonifay, Fl
I'd love to help. I live a small Florida town called Bonifay, and I'm willing to foster and adopt a tortoise or two. Maybe 3 or 4. I love these creature and all I need to know is what breed and I'll do all the necessary research and create a proper environment.

arghharghh

PA
Some of the members on the forum have expressed interest in creating a network to help at-risk tortoises identified through ad websites, such as Craig's List. We have developed the Tortoise Rescue Network (TRN) to help ensure that tortoises currently receiving substandard care do not simply pass from one sad home to another, but end up in the best home possible.

If you identify a needy tortoise in your area, post the link here. Ideally, the person who posts the link would be interested in acting as the foster, and TRN would supply funds needed to: acquire the tortoise, pay for a vet visit (if needed), and assist with expenses related to care during the foster phase. The primary responsibility of finding a good, knowledgeable, permanent home will lie with the person fostering the animal. An adoption fee will be requested from the adopting family, to help cover the cost of care, and that money will be returned to the TRN fund to help another tortoise in need.

Priority rescue status will be given to tortoises that:
*Show signs of serious illness, such as MBD or respiratory infection; and/or
*Are housed primarily in small fish tanks, without proper husbandry.

The second portion of our work will be to encourage people selling torts in borderline condition to pass along the TFO link to the new owners so any care questions or concerns can be addressed.

I have volunteered to coordinate and raise funding for this project. We'll work out the kinks as we go along, and once things are running smoothly, and it appears to be having the desired result, we'll set it up so other people can donate. For now, I am creating a Pay Pal account for fund transfers to fosters, but if there's a better/safer/more efficient way to do it, please let me know. Otherwise, if you end up participating as a foster parent and need financial assistance, you will have to have a Pay Pal account.

Feel free to contact me via PM if you have questions, suggestions, or have info about a tort in need that you don't want to post publicly. Thanks.
Dear Erika (?) I do not know how to even use these forums, nor do I kow how to PM you. I would like to know if you are still pursuing this endeavor. Admittedly, I may never get an answer as this seems to be a very old post, but I"m giving it a try, prior to starting an SOS type of message.

I am looking to foster my 11 year sulcata in an environment that is loving, willing, single tortoise responsible home. I suppose this is a bit much to ask for, but he IS my best friend and I can't even imagine him in the care of someone who is none of the above. I am wondering if this is still your passion and if it never went anywhere on the forum, if you continued to network on your own. (Not a bad endeavor, of course. I am in Pennsylvania, the eastern part of the state, but will consider even a hundred miles away if I can find the right conditions. Of course, this means I would be willing to pay each month to have him cared for. It's extremely difficult to find all of the right qualities in the fosters of these magnificent creatures... how privilaged we are to be able to steward them! He is presently in the most ideal conditions of other foster caregiving family, but their little sulcata is getting too large for the space for the two of them now, and it's too much to keep them separated and happy. They are the most ideal scene I could have had for my boy and both they and I are really sad that he needs to be re-fosterhomed while I find a place for us both to live. I have my house on the market, but a son that has come home to live with me as he needs a kidney transplant, so my original plans to be in a tortoise friendly state (environment in the south somewhere) have had to be moved back slightly, as I had planned to be relocated by now. For obvious reasons the postponement is a necessity. Can you help at all? I would really appreciate any response at all. My very best.... Georgi