New but having fun...in Texas!

escurnow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Texas
Hi Guys-
I posted in the introduce yourself forum and appreciate the warm welcome I received. Just wanted to send an update. I have two Sulcata's. One is 1 # and his name is Mike (although it's likely a 'her') and the other is Sully (he's 5#). Picture attached. They were a rescue from someone moving to an apartment. This forum gave me the advice to separate them so I did. I attached a pic of the outdoor enclosure. Still getting plants and whatnot planted but it's coming along. Now that they are separate, they are both out and about walking around and grazing. I love to watch them!

Anyway.. I live in S. Texas and used the Tortoise table website to ID plants they can eat. So I got Hibiscus, coleus, aloe, agave, boston ferns, bridal wreath, mexican heather, heart shaped ice plant, wandering jew, kalanche etc. I also got some pampas grasses and a bail of timothy grass hay. I'm trying to do all the right things so these little dudes will be happy and healthy!

IMG_20150904_151344.jpg

IMG_20150912_165731623.jpg

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. I bet you two torts are very happy with all that space and all that yummy food.

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas
Thank you so much! It's nice to hear i'm on the right track from established members who know what to do! I read through all the beginner links you all posted here and thats what guided me, so thanks for the support! I still need to set up the 'houses' for when it gets cold, but down here thats a ways off so i have some time!

Spdracer3x

Welcome to the forum.... Those torts will love the care and food your providing or them.... Where in south Texas are you located... I'm in kingsville

Jason post

I won't separated them unless their fighting all the time. Mine like to hang out with each other

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
I won't separated them unless their fighting all the time. Mine like to hang out with each other
Better to be safe then sorry it takes only one time for a tort to flip over and die
Are you watching your torts closely 24/7

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas
Better to be safe then sorry it takes only one time for a tort to flip over and die
Are you watching your torts closely 24/7

That's what another member suggested, also that since mine are so different in size bully-ing was a concern. I just noticed that the small one didn't seem to be walking around much and really wasn't eating very much. Once i split them up the little one came out of his shell, figuratively, of course! ;-)

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Beautiful tortoises, and I love the spaces you have created for them. Looks like you put a ton of thought and work into it.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Great job you are doing things the right way !
m1234.gif