Genetic bottleneck? Blue eastern box turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
The full face front view is a very funny picture.

The other photos show a very beautiful blue box turtle. Wish I could see one in person.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
This is true we stand on the shoulders of giants. So Steve what was your major? I like genetics though I don't much care for microbiology or chemistry. Kind of funny isn't it?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Saloli said:
This is true we stand on the shoulders of giants. So Steve what was your major? I like genetics though I don't much care for microbiology or chemistry. Kind of funny isn't it?

I majored in Pomology and minored in Plant Protection Science from Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. I really enjoy genetics, microbiology, and chemistry. If I had it to do over again, I would have majored in biology and minored in plant protection science. Or double majored in biology and pomology.
How about you, what is/was your major?

Steve

I'm relisting some of these photos. I came across a new blue male that came from the same population as mine, so I thought I'd list all the pictures of blue Eastern Box Turtles that I'm aware of.

First, are the males with just a small amount of blue, on their cheeks or cheeks and top of the head.

This male was from Maryland.
4c.jpg

4b.jpg

4a.jpg

This male was from Illinois.
2c.jpg

2b.jpg

2a.jpg

I don't know where this male is from. I would guess he's probably from the South Carolina population. He is now owned by Sam Hacker.
1c.jpg

1b.jpg

I don't know where this male is from. I believe he is now in Florida, and for some reason I think he's from the South Carolina population, but I don't know.
3b.jpg

3a.jpg

This is one of my two blue males. He is from the South Carolina population. He has a blue throat, blue patches on each front leg, and blue on the cheeks. Small spots of blue also exist in the shoulder pits, and between the tail and back leg.
SC2a.jpg

SC2b.jpg

SC2c.jpg

This is the other male from the South Carolina population. He has extensive blue on all but the top of his head, and front legs. He is in a breeding group with 4 females somewhere in Charleston, SC.
SC1g.jpg

SC1f.jpg

SC1e.jpg

SC1d.jpg

SC1c.jpg

SC1b.jpg

SC1a.jpg

This is the other of my males. He is from a new population, that has apparently been extirpated (see the beginning of this thread).This male is with 4 females from the locality (see pics earlier in this thread)
I have now learned that there were 3 males found in this population.
Group22a.jpg

Group22b.jpg

Group22e.jpg

Group22d.jpg

Group22c.jpg

Here is the other male, that was apparently found with my male (above). He is in a different collection. He seems to have the most vibrant blue of all of them, but it is confined to specific patches and scales. He seems quite amazing in color. I'd love to see him in person.
Group21a.jpg

Does anyone know of any more male Eastern's with distinct patches of blue color?

Steve

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Interesting I actually had to look up your specialty. I went to CCBC which is affiliated with UMd for my A.A. I took among other thing, botany, ecology, genetics and zoology. My major was biology I took mostly other classes that were related to ecology. I am working on my B.S. in biology. I specialize in ecology and behavior in relation to herpetology. I am a lot of times called an encyclopedia by friends and people who know me. In some cases I knew as much or more then the professors. I'm learning how to do gis so it can be used for conservation purposes. I don't consider myself smart but most people do. But any at I've been keeping, studying and breeding reptiles, and amphibians since I was 4 or so. My first pet was an Alligator Snapping turtle who I helped feed until I was about 6 or so when I took over all the care of her. I have had a college reading level since I was in second grade which is why my parents trusted me with her care I understood her needs and how she could be dangerous. I have been keeping and breeding box turtles about as long. When I first breed boxers I was about 6 years old.

Oh I forgot to mention I'm transferring to UTB. I have Blue he has blue but it is in stripes not patches.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Saloli said:
Interesting I actually had to look up your specialty. I went to CCBC which is affiliated with UMd for my A.A. I took among other thing, botany, ecology, genetics and zoology. My major was biology I took mostly other classes that were related to ecology. I am working on my B.S. in biology. I specialize in ecology and behavior in relation to herpetology. I am a lot of times called an encyclopedia by friends and people who know me. In some cases I knew as much or more then the professors. I'm learning how to do gis so it can be used for conservation purposes. I don't consider myself smart but most people do. But any at I've been keeping, studying and breeding reptiles, and amphibians since I was 4 or so. My first pet was an Alligator Snapping turtle who I helped feed until I was about 6 or so when I took over all the care of her. I have had a college reading level since I was in second grade which is why my parents trusted me with her care I understood her needs and how she could be dangerous. I have been keeping and breeding box turtles about as long. When I first breed boxers I was about 6 years old.

Oh I forgot to mention I'm transferring to UTB. I have Blue he has blue but it is in stripes not patches.

Interesting. See if you can get a picture of Blue that shows his blue stripes.

What do you eventually want to do with your degree?

Steve

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Ecology and behavior field research and conservation. Is what I would like to do though I have some colleges at the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville that I may be working with in the next year or so. I would be one of the reptile curators. I am actually working with the head curator at the zoo to establish a new breeding colony of Mexican Box Turtles. They will be my responsibility. I would be one of only a few people working with them in the U.S. and one of only two non zoos that have them. The other being the Omer of the Tortoise Reserve. I think I have a picture that shows his color better the ones I posted were mainly over all pictures. I have some in his I.D. file that show the blues better. So what did you think of the green shell trait? I tried my best to have it show in the pics but for what ever reason it doesn't look as green as it is. I also noticed my hand looks paler too. I guess that's what I get for using a phone camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.