Genetic bottleneck? Blue eastern box turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
In a tiny patch of woods trapped for 150 plus years by a railroad track, large river, and the base of a highway bridge, lived this guy (the woods were trapped for 150 years, not this guy, I think he's fairly young).

The woods were burned several weeks ago because the land is being developed, but this guy was saved before the land was burned.

I imagine this gene is present in a recessive form in many populations, but it seems to only be expressed in males, and is only known from a few locations scattered throughout the eastern's range. Perhaps the population trapped in this small patch of woods allowed for it to surface. The only two males found in this woods were both blue.

I like the flames running down the back of his head, maybe he's a biker boxie.

Steve

IMG_2261s.jpg

IMG_2244s.jpg

IMG_2249s.jpg

IMG_2248s.jpg

IMG_2261s-2.jpg

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
WOW WOW WOW...WHAT AWESOME BLUE COLOR!!!!...is this little guy in your collection now????

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
jojodesca said:
WOW WOW WOW...WHAT AWESOME BLUE COLOR!!!!...is this little guy in your collection now????

Yes, he's in a pen with the only 4 females found in the woods before it was burned. I'm hoping they carry the gene.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
While it isn't common, it isn't uncommon either.......Gulf Coasts, Floridas, and the Integrades all show it - Some more than others........I doubt it is anything heritable in a consistant manner........I know someone who is working with blue Gulf Coasts for years, and he hasn't produced any in numbers.......The blue tends to show up around maturity from the individuals I've seen........

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
EricIvins said:
While it isn't common, it isn't uncommon either.......Gulf Coasts, Floridas, and the Integrades all show it - Some more than others........I doubt it is anything heritable in a consistant manner........I know someone who is working with blue Gulf Coasts for years, and he hasn't produced any in numbers.......The blue tends to show up around maturity from the individuals I've seen........

It is well known in some Gulf Coast populations, and probably integrades near those areas. I've only seen pics of one Florida subspecies with small patches of blue on his cheeks. I did not know it was common in Florida box turtles.

It is very uncommon in Easterns. I'm aware of maybe 6 individuals that are pure easterns with any blue at all. No doubt there are more out there in collections, but it is poorly known from this subspecies.

You don't think it is consistantly heritable? Why do you think so? I'm assuming it is a recessive gene that is expressed in males.

Steve

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Congratulations. A very striking male, saturated with blue. The females you got are equally important, and might save you a generation of breeding if any are het. Looks like you'll be raising babies now. GOOD JOB.

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
supremelysteve said:
jojodesca said:

Yes, he's in a pen with the only 4 females found in the woods before it was burned. I'm hoping they carry the gene.

Oooh! Can we see pics of the females as well? :)

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
turtlemann2 said:
Whats your feed bill getting to? lol more turtles

My husband gets disgruntled when I buy $1.50 blackberries and 0.98 turnip greens for my 5 boxies... I wonder what Ill be paying if any of my 6 boxie eggs hatch?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
yagyujubei said:
Congratulations. A very striking male, saturated with blue. The females you got are equally important, and might save you a generation of breeding if any are het. Looks like you'll be raising babies now. GOOD JOB.

Thanks, it's becoming quite a project!

karlyholmes said:
supremelysteve said:
jojodesca said:

Oooh! Can we see pics of the females as well? :)

Yes, I'm out of town til Sunday (posting on phone), but I will put pics of them when I get back.

turtlemann2 said:
Whats your feed bill getting to? lol more turtles

Well, it seems for me that my turtles get fed more regularly now that I have more. There is less waste, so feeding almost feels cheaper. Poor feeders start feeding sooner when they see what other turtles are eating.

Currently, it's trout chow, turtle brittle, super worms, night crawlers, and strawberries that grow in each pen. Prepared food frozen is best, but I haven't made any this year yet.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I want to know where you live...so i can come over and turtlenap your turtles...(oh I probably shouldn't have said that last part)...umm.....so hey where do ya live?..hahahahaha.....

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Hey! I just got home; WHERE DID ALL MY TURTLES GO! ! !

(jk)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
jojodesca said:
I want to know where you live...so i can come over and turtlenap your turtles...(oh I probably shouldn't have said that last part)...umm.....so hey where do ya live?..hahahahaha.....

Not if I get there first, Jo. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.