Need hatchling help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweeter

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
So, my neighbor was mowing this afternoon and almost mowed this little guy. He's a boxie, almost 1 1/2" long. Tiny little guy, but just adorable:D

He brought him to me....sigh. I know he should be outside in the wild, but we've had a real problem with raccoons (4 trapped so far this year) and possums (2 so far this year), and I'm just so afraid between them and the hawks, this guy has less than a good chance of growing up.

I'd like to keep him until he's a bit bigger then release him back into the woods. I can easily make a pen for him and keep him safe till he grows some, but I want to do what's best for him.

Thoughts?

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Nope, no injuries. He seems to be healthy, active, but not frantic...just kinda wandering around checking things out.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Well, first know your laws. I wouldn't want you to get in trouble. Second, I say if you feel confident that you can raise him properly, keep him and give him a fighting chance to make it.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
If you raise him in captivity for a few months, years, etc. and release him into the wild, it's very unlikely he'd make it after being pampered and cared for in captivity. Would you really release it after becoming attached? I vote put it back outside, it's a wild turtle. Box turtles, wood turtles, and blandings turtles have all had massive population declines from road networks transecting their habitat and the pet trade.

I'm not trying to be harsh here, but I really don't agree with removing that hatchling from the wild. As nice as it may sound, it's subjecting the turtle to a very anthropocentric logic. Some of you may agree, others will not, just my opinion.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also think it should be left in the wild. I also understand your situation, with the coons and such. Maybe you could make it an outdoor cage for the summer, one that is nothing but wire, so it's like he is in the wild, but coons and such can't get to him. Don't handle him and try to let him fend for himself to find food, but within the enclosure. Even if you have to feed him, just scatter it around so he has to find it. Make sure there is a pile of leafs to hide under. You know, make it as close to him being on his own, but within the protection of the wire. See what others say about that idea.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
If I were to keep him, he'd definitely be outside, in a secure area. Much as I'd love to keep him (OMG, that little face) I do think he'd be better off outside....just hate the thought of a coon or possum having him for a snack.

Right now I'm leaning towards putting him back where he was found.

Just wanted to hear what others with more experience thought.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
wellington said:
I also think it should be left in the wild. I also understand your situation, with the coons and such. Maybe you could make it an outdoor cage for the summer, one that is nothing but wire, so it's like he is in the wild, but coons and such can't get to him. Don't handle him and try to let him fend for himself to find food, but within the enclosure. Even if you have to feed him, just scatter it around so he has to find it. Make sure there is a pile of leafs to hide under. You know, make it as close to him being on his own, but within the protection of the wire. See what others say about that idea.

I disagree, you may as well keep the hatchling at that point. Approaching the cage and keeping it in you yard where you might toss it food is still domesticating a wild animal. Racoons and other predators are a fact of life, not every turtle/tortoise will make it out there, but this doesn't give you the right to take it into captivity. Again, choice is yours and many will disagree with me but that's just my opinion.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
I think you're right. Tomorrow I will find out where exactly he was found, and I'll release him there.

With a little (or a lot) of luck, maybe I'll see him again one day.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
tweeter said:
I think you're right. Tomorrow I will find out where exactly he was found, and I'll release him there.

With a little (or a lot) of luck, maybe I'll see him again one day.

I hope you do :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Redstrike said:
wellington said:

I disagree, you may as well keep the hatchling at that point. Approaching the cage and keeping it in you yard where you might toss it food is still domesticating a wild animal. Racoons and other predators are a fact of life, not every turtle/tortoise will make it out there, but this doesn't give you the right to take it into captivity. Again, choice is yours and many will disagree with me but that's
just my opinion.

I agree that it should be left in the wild. I also disagree. There are a lot of wild animals, taken into captive care, rehabilitated and then released. Not impossible, as it is done every day all around the world. I get it this one does not need rehab, but if you can't live with yourself, letting it go, because your thinking you are going to be putting it to it's death. There is a way, to grow it up some and then let it go back to where it belongs. If it were an adult, put it back. If it's a baby and you have those kinds of dangers one might want to give it a better chance. Personally, with the dwindling numbers, maybe it's time to start giving the little ones a helping hand with releasing them as the only end goal. I guess I would rather it raised up a little and released, then released to be killed. I think both ways are except able, as long as it is released at some point.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Whatever you decide to do, just research and know what your getting into if you decide keeping it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all, make sure that that type of box turtle is native to your area. For instance, today someone brought me a baby box turtle with a bird peck in its carapace. She was just going to leave it alone and let it be a wild turtle, but worried about the peck. I told her it was good to bring it to me because they are NOT native to our state and its illegal to "release" them into the wild.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm on the fence with this. I don't agree with taking box turtles from the wild, but in a case like this one, where you don't know where it was hatched, I would have to keep it. If I knew positively where it was hatched, I would put it back under some leaf litter in the same spot, otherwise, I would keep it. I would do anything at this point to save it.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
RE: Need hatchling help - update

Well, my neighbor was gone almost all day, and I didn't want to turn him loose without knowing where he was found. He did get outside to play, found a worm (OMG, he devoured it), then we went back inside.

At 5:30, neighbor came home, he showed me where he found him....and the little dude was returned to the wild.

It was sad, but I know he'll be happy. I just hope he stays safe.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Well i think you did the right thing :) Just imagine everytime you see a turtle in the wild youll think maybe thats my turtle i let go :). You even sent him off with a full stomach :) what a nice way to end the day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.