Garage Kept Torts & fumes?

Jimb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, Co.
Hi all,
I've seen where some folks keep their Torts in their garage in the winter or when the weather is too cold for them to be outside. My question is (for those to do mostly) do you still keep your vehicles in the garage and if so, are you concerned about the exhaust fumes left behind when you either start or turn-off your engine?
Thanks,

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
this is a topic of conversation that comes up often at my turtle and tortoise club. mainly for people who hibernate theirs in garages in the winter. There is no evidence that I have found of it affecting them.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've seen where some folks keep their Torts in their garage in the winter or when the weather is too cold for them to be outside. My question is (for those to do mostly) do you still keep your vehicles in the garage and if so, are you concerned about the exhaust fumes left behind when you either start or turn-off your engine?
Thanks,
Thank you for your question . Not for my torts but for my step- daughter - in- law . She wants me bring cloths over to her house . That don't smell like smoke . And I told my wife it will not happen . Cause car fumes in the garage are worst for the baby then my clothes . Thank you again !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not want my torts to breath in the exhaust. That's why I had a wall built between the two car stalls and the third stall which is for the tortoises. Even then, I won't let the vehicle run in the garage without the over head door open.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hibernating tortoises will be breathing a lot less air than active, warmed up tortoises will. I would not expose my tortoises to fumes that I would not expose any other animal too. I wouldn't let my kid live in a garage with a car.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
One of the differences between hibernation and brumation - which reptiles do- is the dramatically reduced need for oxygen due to the increased levels of glycogen in their blood streams. Aquatic turtles brumate under water, but do still extract small amount of oxygen directly from the water. Tortoises in brumation also require less oxygen, but do still breath VEERRRRYYYY slowly. Having said that, I'm with Tom - I would be careful about letting any exhaust build up. Starting the car and immediately pulling out should be fine, but letting it warm up in the garage I would avoid.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
So let me summarize this : how little of a amount of gas can I give my torts before I kill them ?
This sounds like what's going on in Flint River in Michigan . But it's not turtles it's people . They checked out the water and said it was ok . So Flint Michigan took water from the Flint river . Now the people are having major problems with lead cause it stays in the body !

Reactions: Tom

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
One of the differences between hibernation and brumation - which reptiles do- is the dramatically reduced need for oxygen due to the increased levels of glycogen in their blood streams. Aquatic turtles brumate under water, but do still extract small amount of oxygen directly from the water. Tortoises in brumation also require less oxygen, but do still breath VEERRRRYYYY slowly. Having said that, I'm with Tom - I would be careful about letting any exhaust build up. Starting the car and immediately pulling out should be fine, but letting it warm up in the garage I would avoid.

That's pretty much our routine, Open Garage door, start car, back it out. I can't imagine there's much fume build-up. That being said, I have a couple years yet to worry about it (I think) since my Maximus is only 2 months old. I have time to get something nice outside built & wired up.
Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So let me summarize this : how little of a amount of gas can I give my torts before I kill them ?

Grandpa, you hit the nail on the head here. You worded this so much better than I did.

Also, did you know you can safely eat a certain amount of arsenic before it becomes toxic to you? Want to try that out?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Grandpa, you hit the nail on the head here. You worded this so much better than I did.

Also, did you know you can safely eat a certain amount of arsenic before it becomes toxic to you? Want to try that out?
We do when we drink AZ water ! That's why I give my baby torts bottled water !