Vivarium sealant

Tinker27

Location (City and/or State)
York, uk
Hello everyone, just after some advice really. I have seen you can buy sealant strips, would these be safe in a tortoise enclosure? I know it wouldn't be as fully sealed as if I used a silicone and would probably need redoing regularly but my issue is the only area I have to build the new enclosure is the same room that my tortoise is in and I don't feel happy about the fumes being in the same room whilst it cures! I have no garage or shed and with our unpredictable weather there is no way I am leaving outside for a few days.

People's thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How bout putting down self stick floor tiles. You could put them on floor and walls. It you don't think they would stick well then you can put a staple thru them. Then cover with substrate on the floor.
Strips you are talking about, not sure what that is. I just picture the tort being able to bite at it.

Tinker27

York, uk
How bout putting down self stick floor tiles. You could put them on floor and walls. It you don't think they would stick well then you can put a staple thru them. Then cover with substrate on the floor.
Strips you are talking about, not sure what that is. I just picture the tort being able to bite at it.
Dreetino Caulk Strip, 11ft Self Adhesive Caulk Strip Sealant Tape for Kitchen, Bathroom, Toilet, Wall Corner with Sealing Tool - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DCFVDBT/?tag=

It is something along the lines of these. I will be putting tiles along the walls too because she has made quite a mess in her old vivarium. She buries herself into a corner on a night and has pretty much dug away at the wall whilst doing it, I don't want to have to pay for a new house every couple of years ?
I could maybe think about tiling the floors also

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211008-153058_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211008-153058_Samsung Internet.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 1

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I used sticky back Fablon across the base of inside enclose and up the walls sealing all edges and it has worked brilliantly. Wipe clean and orchid bark substrate on it with humidity has no issues.

Example:
UK link but you get the idea..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think the floor tiles would be better and safer. I just feel like the stripping could too easily he grabbed and/or dug up loose more easily and could become an eating hazard.

Tinker27

York, uk
I used sticky back Fablon across the base of inside enclose and up the walls sealing all edges and it has worked brilliantly. Wipe clean and orchid bark substrate on it with humidity has no issues.

Example:
UK link but you get the idea..
Brilliant thank you, I am from the UK so I will take a look