Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
I have a garage that can get VERY cold in the winter. Maybe sub 30 degrees farenheit. However, I wanted to know if I had the proper heating setup, could i keep a redfoot in there? There is more space in the garage then the 9x3 I have available for him when he is bigger.

Jd3

5 Year Member
If you can heat it enough of course. It'd be no different than anywhere else.

If the garage isn't insulated I'd recommend insulating the cage. Like do it anyways as the smaller the space you have to heat the better.

Jd3

5 Year Member
With insulation. Like used in the rest if your house. Rigid foam insulation is easy to work with. A enclosed box is best net for heat insulation.

I wouldn't underestimate the cost of both building something big enough and heating something from a base temp of 30 degrees. My propane heater in my uninsulated garage makes it tolerable for me to work in there. Sit still and and it gets cool.

To heat a fully enclosed insulated box, heating the floor and using basking lamps may work. An oil heater can be used to supplement. But realize electricity is going to start flowing and it will flow a lot....

Now, if you're looking to insulate the garage too, this is a great excuse to do so. It isn't terribly hard and it will help make the space more usable. Most garage heat methods will produce incredibly dry heat.

Hard foam insulation sandwiched between plywood works well. Elevating off the cold concrete too. Lots of things to consider. Access. Heat. Humidity. Lighting. Cleaning.

Take your time and do it right the first time or you'll be repeating it soon...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
can you wall off a corner and make a small room? insulate that and it will be easier to heat.. cheaper in the long run

Status
Not open for further replies.