Funny Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi, I thought I would share something with folks that really might get a kick out of it..Godness knows the family and few friends that I do have would not.. Guess I have to give a bit of set up first....I work for vet that does see exotics kinda by default in that no one in the area does and she saw them at the beginning just to try to help folks out. There is one client that I have personally dealt with for 10 years as a tech visit to trim her 2 boxies beak and nails. (She has had these guys for over 20 yrs and claims to know all about enviorment, diet etc, so I do not know what is happenening, its just that the beaks just grow and grow,
SO today she brings them in, it's been awhile and she hands me Toby,(one is nice, one is not) I remembered Toby as being the nice one.(!st clue) I get his head out, trim the beak with a dremel, and hold out the front leg for the other tech to get the nails. Well little innocent Toby reaches out and grabs onto the side of my wrist in a death grip.!! OUCH, we cannot get him undone from my wrist.. I was trying to push his butt with my other hand, and he just snapped his little mouth shut and tried to get that piece of flesh off my arm. Every time the other tech went to do something, he would just try to retract more. I tried to put him on the floor hoping he would think escape, not a chance, he has my skin and would not let go.. I told her to get a tongue depressor, (or a gun) and push his butt with it,nothing. And the funnier part was life went on the the hospital like nothing was happening, heres two women on the floor tring to get this miget off my arm and no one even gave it a clue. One Dr later says I wondered what you were doing with that rock on the floor... This went on for over 5 very long minutes, poor Joanna, kept saying what can I do? I finally must've timed it right, I went to get up and just kinda pulled at the same time and my flesh pulled out. All I kept thinking was at least the beak was trimmed nice and flush first. If not Toby would be a real meat eater!! Quite a morning. and the second boxie went off without a hitch. Joanna was a bit more timid, never having had dealt with a turtle before, now she has a great deal of respect for them.....
Just thought I would share.
Na

M

Maggie Cummings

Having been grabbed like that before by water turtles I certainly relate to your story...I hope you don't mind that I laughed...:rolleyes:

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Oh no Maggie, that was the intent!! In fact when I just reread my post to see how many mistakes I made, I laughed again. I never thought I could be so calm and stowic. Little do people know> I was also very happy it wasn't a parrot, and this beak , having just been trimmed by yours truely, was sooo smooth and even. I consider myself lucky!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I guess Toby was really not happy or maybe he was in a bad mood that day! Thank God it was not a Snapper turtle ;)
I am glad you are ok!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Na, you had me laughing so hard my co worker came down to see what was up :D. I know that was your intention (for people to get a chuckle) but boy I laughed so hard almost weee-d my pants. Maybe because I soooo understand. By the way next time try placing him under a running faucet of warm water. Usually that will help them let go. Sounds like Toby maybe wasn't the calm one after all. Still ROFL. Thanks I needed that this morning. :)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
hahahha Nay that sure is funny ! I can sure picture two grown woman wrestling a tort on the floor of the vet hahaha. Classic. Thanks for sharing your story!

treshell

5 Year Member
OK, LOL but with you of course. But a real question comes to mind for all of you that have studied them longer then I. Having lots time on the doggie side of the problem, would my never fail little bit of black pepper thrown at the nose area work to make them turn loose? They do have a very good sense of smell. Sure works in a good old fashion ***** fight. Maybe a lesser value of spray of vinegar at the nose? I do have have some nice pictures of mom's Redfoot trying for her red finger nails.
tj

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
my boxies have never bitten me yet, (so far) but I have recieved many bites form my water turtles when I am to slow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You are so right...only another turtle person can share in the humor of something like this. My friends and family have no idea whey turtles and tortoises are so special in my life.

Yvonne

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Ouch!! That must have hurt!! But like you said, thank goodness his beak was trimmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.