Another sad story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi there,
Just have to share. At work today someone called to see if we see torts. We always did by default, but now that there is another vet who really enjoys herps we refer most reptiles and birds to him. The person said he already called there and they couldn't get him in, and he only wanted his Russian's beak trimmed because she stopped eating, and he felt that was the cause. I do all the bird wings and nails, and any of the tort beaks that don't need Dr. care.
Well he showed up with this poor poor little Russian. If you looked up MBD in the dictionary, this girl would be the picture. Pyramided,soft squishy shell. Lower in the back. Nails way overgrown and the beak!!! It was like a birds beak, hanging way way down. I really wanted a picture, but that would not have been too cool. It was really really sad. I asked him how long he had her and he said since 1990. She was a 'rescue'. Apparently she had had pneumonia and she did great. Oh my, I stayed in the room over 1/2 hour, calmly as I could and with out judgment asking about diet, and general husbandry. I hat it that with all the info available at our fingertips,,,,, ugh we all have been trough it. He was proud of the fact he had her in a 20 gallon long, with shredded newspapers. and she ate Romaine... yup Romaine. I asked about soaking,etc, and he said she was soaked on occasion, but knew they were to be kept dry. I tried very hard not to offend. Very very nice, pleasant person. I liked him alot. I gave my best to say what I knew worked. I was able to do the nails and got most of that awful beak down. Hopefully she will eat more. Told him no more fruit and squash and give all those nice weeds in his yard.
He was very appreciative and I offered to send him some links that I had.
Question to the group. That many years and that soft icky shell. Adding calicum and some proper light. (Told outside is best!) can it come back? or is this lack of appetite the start of the end?
Had to vent..Almost offered to take her..but it really seemed he did like her.
NAy

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Wow that is a sad story :(I think offending someone should come second education is first if some one is keeping a tort or any animal wrong they need to know it as nicely as possibly:) I think you did a great job by offering to send them some info:) did they take it ?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I found this great article, posted originally here from Madkins, if I remember right. It was all about MBD.So I cut and pasted.. He emailed me thanks, so let's keep our fingers crossed.
And right after I posted this, I had an email from someone else, who got my email from someone, Did I want to take on a Russian that needed a home.
I wish I had more money...and time.....that's all..
Nay

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you did great talking to them. The fact they were at a Vet at all, shows they care and need some guidance.. A LOT of it, and you did just that. Congrats!
pat yourself on the back,and hope this person listens.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
That's sad Nay. Good thing though you were there to make a difference! It must have been really hard to see this poor tortoise and talk with him calmly. What do you use when you clip a tort's beak?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
At that point I dont know what can be done. You were in a tough spot there. Dont think I could just sit there and listen to his husbandry story.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
onarock said:
At that point I dont know what can be done. You were in a tough spot there. Dont think I could just sit there and listen to his husbandry story.

Neither could I. I'm glad you stepped forward. :)

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Well... if he loves his tortoise he shouldn't get offended but be enlightened. I know I would be.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I would take the Russian offered to you and then find agood home for him. I bet someone on here would want it.
That was a very sad story. I had to stop reading it the first time I tried, but then came back and finnished it. Glad you were able to pass on some info.

I would take the Russian offered to you and then find agood home for him. I bet someone on here would want it.
That was a very sad story. I had to stop reading it the first time I tried, but then came back and finnished it. Glad you were able to pass on some info.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Actually Angi, the guy who brought the Russian in did not want to find another home for it, it happened to be someone later in the day. I probably would have taken the first on. Similiar situation happened a number of months back with a pair of them and someone from here took them as soon as it got warm enough to ship.
Chrity, I usually use a dremel, but this time used a very coarse emery board. Works great!
Nay

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Well, hopefully he picked up the info you gave him, and can turn it for the good from this day on!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Nay....I don't think anything is impossible.....miracles happen all of the time. Yes, that tort can be brought round if the guy does abrupt changes to his care :D

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm glad he seemed receptive to the advice! I believe that the tort can pull through if he changes his care :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Hopefully he'll join the forum and gain some knowledge in better husbandry practices...

Status
Not open for further replies.