Hello from Utah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerjello

5 Year Member
Howdy,
I'm brand new to this website and am looking forward to learning a lot. I had a bunch of red ears and three toed box turtles when I was a kid, but they were mostly just summer pets. I would release them before it got cold and see if they were around the next spring. Now that I'm an adult, I want to try a more exotic pet, like a red foot or Russian tort. I am having some problems deciding if I can responsibly house a tort in my living arrangements now or not. I live in Utah, it's very dry, less the 50% humidity half the year, we are a desert state. I also live in a 2 bedroom apartment and have 2 rabbits already. On top of that, I do travel for a weekend once a month or sometimes longer (up to two weeks, but that's rare). With these in mind, should I try going for a red foot? I know they like humidity and would probably need daily spraying right? How long could I leave a new red foot alone? Or how about a Russian? Maybe there is a better species to look into for my climate and traveling concerns? Any help would be awesome. I don't want to get one and then have it suffer because I'm not able to care for it the right way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. A Russian may be a little better then a red foot i think necause of Space and humidity

killerjello

5 Year Member
Thanks Wellington, I've done a lot of studying of the red foot, not as much on the Russian. Guess I'll have to look into it some more. How big does the Russian tortoise get?

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians are awesome and dont get too big. You dont want to leave them alone for long periods at a time while you travel unless you have someone checking on them.

killerjello

5 Year Member
pam said:
Welcome :) Russians are awesome and don't get too big. You don't want to leave them alone for long periods at a time while you travel unless you have someone checking on them.
Yeah, that's what I'm starting to gather. Are RT pretty personable? I worry about having one in an apartment. I don't know if I'd be able to make the right amount of space for one. Do you know anyone that has a healthy and happy RT in an apartment setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.