Found two NEGLECTED Redfoots!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
Well from the pics I seen they do need quite a bit of work I'll asses when I get there and one looks like it should come go
E with me for a week or too to get his beak and nails cut now... I haven't seen any pics from the bottom I hope there's no shell rot and after this visit and I go and some time down the road and nothing is changed I will do everything I can to get them removed if they don't change the conditions

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Has anyone found out if theymare actually owned by the Rain Forest Cafe or are they owned by the company that comes in and "maintains" them? If Rain doesn't actually own them, maybe you should try and contact the other company and educate them also. Who knows what other torts or turts they are in charge of:(

New Redfoot Mom

5 Year Member
Cleveland, OH
Good point Barb. I am not really getting the whole story from here. I tried to post the email I received from my mobile phone with no luck. The General Manager of Niagara Hotels basically said she "inherited" the torts when she took over that location and that "habitat knowledge" was not her area of expertise.

She apologized that we were offended and committed to correct the enclosure/treatment. So it's a start. She didn't know much about the torts at all... In the next email, she said their names were "Ike" and "Tina". One did appear to have a more hourglass shape than the other.

I guess it's on Bobby's agenda now to find out more since he set up a meeting for this weekend. I wish I could go! I would like to see this through, but will not have the opportunity to get back to Canada until late spring/summer.

Bobby - any luck posting those pictures I sent you? I don't know if there is an iphone app for the forum, but maybe from a computer you can import them into your photo gallery. I noticed that their beaks looked funny/overgrown - but my only experience to date is with my little hatchlings.

BTW - will their nails wear naturally in captivity or do I take them to get trimmed? Mine dig in their hides and sometimes scratch/walk on the big rock & half log, but I don't know if this is enough?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you use a piece of flay rock to feed on and have some for them to walk on, that is suppose to help keep them worn down. The beak also. That is what I have learned from TFO members. It would be nice for you to be able to go back to see this through yourself, however you already have done great by those torts, so don't feel bad, you have done more than most would do. If they could thank you, the torts, they would. they can't, but we all do :D

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
The meeting was good one was more rough than the other and we might be taking the one that's in rough shape I'll explain when I get to my pc and not my iPhone

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Good to hear the meeting went well. Can't wait to hear the details. Poor torts, I'm so glad you're helping with them.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
so the meeting was a hour long it was good and they were happy they called the rf's ike and tina turns out its tina and tina now but i just explained how to care for the properly and they said there were doing everything as i was saying they had a water dish in the cage but not they are going to take them out and soak them every morning they do get fed just not when customers are around and they feed them a good diet as for the enclosure its too small and they knew that the nigger girl i might be taking because the house it too big for two torts they are roughly 7 and 9 inches they do have over grown beaks and i told them to put a rock in but they already had one so they asked me how to fix the beaks and i told them to put the food on the rock but over all they are in pretty decent shape they do own the torts now they were rented for some time then they bought them form the people but they were very understanding to what i said writing things down when i was saying it i think this was blown a little out of proportion but still they did need a little help so thanks everyone for the support and the advice

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great job. I am sure it's hard to not blow it out of proportion when an animal is not quite taken care of the way the person seeing it takes care of theirs. Sometimes animals on display don't seem to be getting what they are suppose to. We don't get to see behind the scene. I'd rather it be blown out of proportion and have a happy ending, than not blown and things just keep going down hill. You and New Redfoot Mom did a good thing and I hope you will check back a couple more times to be sure they stay on top of things. It was a good day for two Red Foot :D

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
that's great! someone want to fix the typo in bobbymoore's post though? LOL, should say "bigger", at least I hope so.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I love when people actually take action, not just talk about it. I'm probably going to hell for this but that typo made me lol.

New Redfoot Mom

5 Year Member
Cleveland, OH
Hooray! Bobby - we have been at a hockey tournament since this morning. Only ran in to check our torts but was dying to see how The Rainforest appt went... Sounds like it went well and they were appreciative - thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

I am sorry if it seemed "blown out of proportion". Like Barb suggested, to me; it was bad. Especially for a place promoting the Rainforest and taking proceeds from the gift shop to continue its preservation and the animals who inhabit it. It was "clean" when I was there - just all of the things missing that I mentioned. Plus, they knew you were coming (just sayin)...

So glad they now have a water dish (although it couldn't have accomodated a very big dish in the current enclosure). Also glad that they are going to get regular soaks now and that that "BIG TINA" might be getting more medical care with her beak & everything. Did you see the tarped area where all of their aquatic animals died (part of why I freaked out)?

I guess I also agree with Barb - that thinking it didn't seem acceptable is what caused me to post about it & you to go there & now because of our actions, two torts are going to be a lot happier! Yaaahhh for Tina & Tina (too funny)!

Status
Not open for further replies.