Agonizing over redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

katies

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, WA
Thanks again for all of your wonderful advice and support. So we are going on our third day with little Louie. As many predicted, he is hiding out a lot. I am concerned that he isn't super interested in eating. At the store, I observed him pigging out on some multicolored pellets of some kind. Since he has been with us I cannot get him interested in eating any greens (mustard, spring mix, dandelion), or carrots. He has eaten a couple bites of pear and one small piece of banana, but only when I put them right in front of him. Also he has taken a couple nibbles at the plants in his enclosure. My question for you all now is if I should buy some of this tortoise "food" they were feeding him at Petco or offer more fruit which he seems to like, just until he gets familiar with his new surroundings and learns where his food dish is? I am inclined to do this, and then start the tough veggie love after I can be more certain that he knows where his food dish is. I know I should be careful not to overfeed the little guy and that I should go easy on the fruits, but it seems like there may be some benefit in giving him things he obviously likes and recognizes as his favorites until he warms up to his new surroundings? Thanks in advanced for sharing your experience and advice with me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Marty333 said:
I got my Nova at petsmart. She was 70$ because I have a pet perks card. Originally 100$
Was the petperks card saving a standard thing or was it a special offer? could anyone get 30 bucks off of a redfoot with that card or was it a one time only type of thing?

mywildlove

5 Year Member
New York
I'm glad to see I am not the only one who is worried about this. I got my little guy on Monday, and the only time he eats or drinks is if I put him right in front of his water or food dish. Otherwise he just hides and sleeps all day. I hope we are both worrying needlessly and that this is normal "newbie" behavior?

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
We got our little Hermann's tortoise back in the middle of December. Seemed like i had to put him in front of his food dish and near his water, i too was in fear he wouldn't eat or drink. After a week or 2 when he finally got settled in and comfy i started seeing him march over to both by himself. He also would dig himself in and sleep alot. He now is awake longer and when we say his name looks around. I was a very nervous new owner, Mylo is only a little over 2 inches and weighs about a 1 1/2 ounces. Everyone on here is wonderful and if you have any questions they answer right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.