Found two NEGLECTED Redfoots!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Redfoot Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, OH
Okay fellow tort lovers... My boys & I just returned from a hockey tournament in Canada and we're very distressed about something that we discovered during our travels! At The Rainforest Cafe in Niagara Falls, Ontario, there are two extremely neglected Redfoots! I took several photos which I will post (when I have time to screw around with Photo Bucket).

The glass enclosure which they were in was way too small for one full-sized tort, let alone two... They had to flip up on the glass side to turn around! A hot basking lamp covered the entire top, no UV light, no plants, no thermometer, no water or any MOISTURE (in "the Rainforest" - really?), DRY Cypress Mulch barely covered the floor (bare in spots), no real hide (a decorative bamboo shanty open on both sides and not large enough for one tort to fully hide in sat in the center - so that when one tort attempted to get some shade, the other was "blocked" from moving anywhere).

They must be baking in there!!! I cannot imagine they will last long in these deplorable conditions. Is it a wonder the animals in their aquatic exhibit recently DIED?

They are severely PYRAMIDED, weepy eyes, very dry and very unhappy in a small glass enclosure for all of the world to see (has anybody else been here?)! My 7 year old cried and cried, begging me to take them home & said, "Wow, Mom - our torts are spoiled" as these Reds repeatedly dug on the glass sides desperate to get out...

What surprised me the most was NO MOISTURE AT ALL... When I demanded to see the Manager, I was told that the animals were maintained "weekly" by a separate company (REALLY?)!!! We stayed at the attached Sheraton for the last two days of our trip. I kept going to check on them; horrified (my own torts home with a paid sitter)... I don't believe they were fed in the two days we were there! What is this teaching children???

What can we do? WHO do I write? Is there an Animal Protective League in Canada???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am not sure what you can do there in Canada as far as if you have any animal rights groups. I would think you would, try to find them on the internet. I would first call the head office for Rain Forest Cafe and speak to someone there. Let them know about the abusive conditions and that you will protest them and that everyone you can possible tell you will. Then have in hand a proper care sheet that you can email or send them. Let them know you will be checking back to see that changes have been made. Let them know you will turn them in for animal abuse if changes are not made. I will contact the rain forest cafe in my city and see what I can do from here, Chicago IL, USA. Good luck. I will let you know what if anything I come up with on my end.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'd take pdrobber's contact info that he provided and contact the store owner/manager. If they're open to it, you could direct them to this forum, The Tortoise Library, or whichever site you prefer for general care guidelines. Try to be patient with them, I doubt they are knowingly mistreating the tortoises. Offering guidance may be more productive than taking the offensive, despite how upset you are (I'm sure I would be as well if I saw the conditions!).

I miss hockey tournaments...especially in Canada. I grew up in Maine and frequently played tournaments in Moncton, Saint Andrews, and Quebec. Such a good time! I hope your boys faired well in their brackets!?

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I would try to talk to the restaurant directly again. Explain that you do not want others to think this treatment is OK, especially children. If that does not work then contact Rainforest Cafe corporate. Attach pictures of the Redfoots living conditions and include a care sheet. Point out that Rainforest Cafe "supposedly" is invested in animal conservation and protection, and yet they have two beautiful animals dying in their restaurant.

If that does not work have everyone you know also send letters to corporate!

New Redfoot Mom

5 Year Member
Cleveland, OH
Thanks everyone, great responses, as always!

Barb: I am actually back in Cleveland now. I will contact our Rainforest Cafe here, as well.

Peter: A copy of what I sent is at the bottom of this post...

Chris: Yes, ice hockey is my "other" addiction! We were actually in St Catharines all week for the International Silver Stick tournament. We went over to Niagara after the boys got knocked out on Saturday. They made it to the Semi-Finals, thanks for asking! The Nashville Junior Predators won Mite Division (7 yr olds). I see that you have two Cherryhead hatchlings - we have one Cherry and one "high color" Red. We just got them before Christmas and I was really nervous about leaving them for our trip! I am not very experienced at this yet, but have done enough research to know that what we saw was really wrong! I figure if a busy single Mom can attempt to raise these creatures correctly, what is the excuse of the "Rainforest" franchise owner with corporate backing??? Anyway, I would like to add you to my "friend" list as we may be reaching some of the same milestones with our hatchlings... I am also trying to "master" receiving a private email and updating my profile :)

Herpgirl: I am following all of your recommendations!

Dear Rainforest Management:

I was just at your restaurant both Saturday & Sunday, in town for hockey from Cleveland with a large group (staying at the Sheraton next to you). While our food & service was excellent, I was extremely concerned about the Redfoot Tortoises in the lobby. My children actually cried!

As Redfoot owners and enthusiasts, we feel that there are definitely some major problems with the habitat at your location. Just to name a few: it is too small for 2 tortoises of that size, they need UV light, high humidity (like an actual Rainforest), a water dish big enough to immerse in (or a mister/frequent soakings - ironically, like you are simulating with the fake thunder/rainstorms in the restaurant) and at least two shaded areas to get completely out of the heat lamp periodically (one per tortoise or a bigger one where they can both comfortably fit).

Your tortoises are not happy & healthy... The severe "pyramiding" (where their scutes are raised in bumps), dry skin and watering eyes are evidence of this. You have such a wonderful restaurant and could easily make them a more suitable enclosure/habitat with a few adjustments like "natural" plants and flowers (perfect for shade)...

Not only would the adult patrons enjoy this, but children would not have to see the animals miserable and clawing at the glass. I know that your chain promotes the conservation of the natural rainforests and the creatures who live there... Our Rainforest Cafe in Cleveland is actually attached to the zoo!

I am also a member of an online international "Tortoise Forum" community (we have Canadian members). I have told them about your location and we're willing to help you set up the appropriate enclosure for the health and safety of your animals and also to protect the investment that you have already made in these beautiful tortoises. Please join at: www.tortoiseforum.com

I thought I would reach out to you first and then we can follow up either via email or on the phone to discuss next steps. I have included my contact information with this inquiry.

Sincerely,

Sharon

New Redfoot Mom said:
Thanks everyone, great responses, as always!

Barb: I am actually back in Cleveland now. I will contact our Rainforest Cafe here, as well.

Peter: A copy of what I sent is at the bottom of this post...

Chris: Yes, ice hockey is my "other" addiction! We were actually in St Catharines all week for the International Silver Stick tournament. We went over to Niagara after the boys got knocked out on Saturday. They made it to the Semi-Finals, thanks for asking! The Nashville Junior Predators won Mite Division (7 yr olds). I see that you have two Cherryhead hatchlings - we have one Cherry and one "high color" Red. We just got them before Christmas and I was really nervous about leaving them for our trip! I am not very experienced at this yet, but have done enough research to know that what we saw was really wrong! I figure if a busy single Mom can attempt to raise these creatures correctly, what is the excuse of the "Rainforest" franchise owner with corporate backing??? Anyway, I would like to add you to my "friend" list as we may be reaching some of the same milestones with our hatchlings... I am also trying to "master" receiving a private email and updating my profile :)

Herpgirl: I am following all of your recommendations!

Dear Rainforest Management:

I was just at your restaurant both Saturday & Sunday, in town for hockey from Cleveland with a large group (staying at the Sheraton next to you). While our food & service was excellent, I was extremely concerned about the Redfoot Tortoises in the lobby. My children actually cried!

As Redfoot owners and enthusiasts, we feel that there are definitely some major problems with the habitat at your location. Just to name a few: it is too small for 2 tortoises of that size, they need UV light, high humidity (like an actual Rainforest), a water dish big enough to immerse in (or a mister/frequent soakings - ironically, like you are simulating with the fake thunder/rainstorms in the restaurant) and at least two shaded areas to get completely out of the heat lamp periodically (one per tortoise or a bigger one where they can both comfortably fit).

Your tortoises are not happy & healthy... The severe "pyramiding" (where their scutes are raised in bumps), dry skin and watering eyes are evidence of this. You have such a wonderful restaurant and could easily make them a more suitable enclosure/habitat with a few adjustments like "natural" plants and flowers (perfect for shade)...

Not only would the adult patrons enjoy this, but children would not have to see the animals miserable and clawing at the glass. I know that your chain promotes the conservation of the natural rainforests and the creatures who live there... Our Rainforest Cafe in Cleveland is actually attached to the zoo!

I am also a member of an online international "Tortoise Forum" community (we have Canadian members). I have told them about your location and we're willing to help you set up the appropriate enclosure for the health and safety of your animals and also to protect the investment that you have already made in these beautiful tortoises. Please join at: www.tortoiseforum.org

I thought I would reach out to you first and then we can follow up either via email or on the phone to discuss next steps. I have included my contact information with this inquiry.

Sincerely,

Sharon

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
New Redfoot Mom
Great letter. I will wait to hear what kind of response you get. Please keep us informed. If you haven't heard back from them by the end of this month, I would figure that more action is required and that is when I will also contact them and try to also contact head quarters. Let us know when or or if you hear anything. :D

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
The letter is good but not to be mean a big corp like that doesn't care it's just to draw people in witch is sad and if they die they will buy more or replace it with another rain Forrest animal but Ido hope they do reply and let us know

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
That cafe Is a disgrace they have one by me on Toronto and they have lots of animals that are not maintained. That drives me crazy because I know there are many canadians that would take them in. (me). But hopefully something is changed

New Redfoot Mom

5 Year Member
Cleveland, OH
Bobby, TyGuy & everyone else: GREAT NEWS!!!

The General Manager of the attached hotel contacted me right away!!! I tried to copy her letter, but I am having a heck of a time on this site with the Droid app. Anyway, she is new onsite and committing to work with us to get the torts healthy (so she says)!

I have her convinced that those torts need a new, larger enclosure, UVB lighting, humidity, more hides, access to water, the correct diet, calcium supplements, monitoring, etc. I gave her the idea to make the torts her "marquee exhibit".

We even talked about live plants and a waterfall <3... I admit that I am a NOVICE at this myself. I know there are many debates on here about which care sheets, diets, humidity levels, etc. are the most current...

Any VETERAN Member want to forward me via email doc what they believe is best for Redfoots? I use sheets from redfoottortoise.com & Carolina Pet Supply...

Bobby - since you are right there; are you willing to help her if she won't give them up? There are two of them and they are quite large...

I am happy that she responded so quickly, but cautious to believe that these torts can really thrive in this environment. They definitely will not beloved pets like all of ours - they don't even have names :( On the other hand, they were quite a "draw" and since they are down to the torts and one live snake - I don't see them giving the animals up!

I will keep you all updated! I at least feel better that they got food & water today. I also told her that the "Tortoise Forum" is now watching :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
That's good. A lot of the time, if you are polite and can convince them that what is going on is bad for business (and the potential for losing customers), then they will listen.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
New Redfoot Mom said:
Bobby, TyGuy & everyone else: GREAT NEWS!!!

The General Manager of the attached hotel contacted me right away!!! I tried to copy her letter, but I am having a heck of a time on this site with the Droid app. Anyway, she is new onsite and committing to work with us to get the torts healthy (so she says)!

I have her convinced that those torts need a new, larger enclosure, UVB lighting, humidity, more hides, access to water, the correct diet, calcium supplements, monitoring, etc. I gave her the idea to make the torts her "marquee exhibit".

We even talked about live plants and a waterfall <3... I admit that I am a NOVICE at this myself. I know there are many debates on here about which care sheets, diets, humidity levels, etc. are the most current...

Any VETERAN Member want to forward me via email doc what they believe is best for Redfoots? I use sheets from redfoottortoise.com & Carolina Pet Supply...

Bobby - since you are right there; are you willing to help her if she won't give them up? There are two of them and they are quite large...

I am happy that she responded so quickly, but cautious to believe that these torts can really thrive in this environment. They definitely will not beloved pets like all of ours - they don't even have names :( On the other hand, they were quite a "draw" and since they are down to the torts and one live snake - I don't see them giving the animals up!

I will keep you all updated! I at least feel better that they got food & water today. I also told her that the "Tortoise Forum" is now watching :)

I'll pm you with my email adress and you could pass it along to them thanks

New Redfoot Mom

5 Year Member
Cleveland, OH
bobbymoore said:
I called the rain Forrest cafe 10 mins ago so Saturday I have an appointment with them at 10 am wish me luck :)

Bobby,

This is great news and an example of Tortoise Forum rescuing torts internationally! I so wish I could go back with you, but I am just buried at work with all of my holiday and "Boxing Week" travel!

Are you meeting with Lisa? I will forward her email and the pics that I took of the poor fellows to your email. Maybe you can post them to the thread? I am hoping for a successful "before and after" story here!

Bobby,

Forwarding you email from General Manager & pics I took of poor fellows from my phone now... Please post to thread because apparently I am not "technically competent" enough to!

Thanks SO MUCH for helping... What teamwork!

Can't wait to see improved conditions...

Sharon

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
Me too send those pictures soon and may I please know your name because she asked me who you were and either way if they do improve the conditions or not I will make sure they get taken care of either way thanks for posting this please send the pictures and the message thanks again will keep everyone updated

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is fantastic news.:D. If people don't try to speak up for the animals things will never change. We are their only voice. Usually people will listen, especially if they are going to lose in some way. Great job guys, can't wait for the final HAPPY:D:D:D:D:D ENDING for the torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.