For Tanks Mom

M

Maggie Cummings

I just went out and took some pictures for you. Bob's shed is 12'X20'and it's in a pen I never measured. It's surrounded by a 3.5 solid cedar fence over 3/4 of it and 1/4 is a cinder block wall, 3 high with t-posts inside each. For convenience there's 3 gates in Bob's fence and it's all surrounded by MY garden beds.
There was a wooden garden shed on the property when I moved in. It has a plywood floor and we took solid sheets of insulation (it looks like Styrofoam) and covered that floor with 2 layers, then we put in another plywood floor. The walls are filled with that pink fluffy insulation and covered with plywood. The ceiling is that pink insulation and plywood. So as you can see his room is straight plywood walls, floor and ceiling. He sleeps in that box you see, and has for 8 years. He puts himself to bed every night faithfully at 6:30. There's a pig blanket with a rheostat in the box that he sleeps on every night. His basking light is 160 watts, I usually get 250 but couldn't find one this time. There's an oil-filled radiator heater made by DeLonghi, up on the wall so he can't get to it. It keeps the shed a steady 85 degrees all winter. My weather problem is the opposite of yours, we have 7 months of rain, freeze, snow and misery. It's only been 100 degrees once in the 8 years I've lived here. It rains and is gray for so long that people actually get a disorder called S.A.D. Seasonal Affected Disorder...otherwise known as depression. Reptile people in the know shine UVB bulbs in their face an hour a day.
Anyhow, I have a portable air conditioner I move into the shed when it's 90-95 or so. Kinda depending on the humidity. I also have a vaporizer in the shed that I run about 5 nights a weeks making sure he doesn't feel too dry. There's a doggie door with weather strips and a ramp that I open every morning sun, rain or snow. He is old enough, 16, and big enough 150 lbs. last Xmas; to make up his own mind to go out or stay in. He does go out in the snow and when he gets cold he goes back in and under the light to warm up. You can see from the tracks that he walks a lot.
The shed has a metal roof that is not a good idea for the summer and I have a picture with it covered with snow except in certain spots, so I'm thinkin it's time for more insulation there. The huge spiders probably balled the stuff up. He is stuck inside for days at a time in the winter but he seems to have adjusted and I try as much as I can to make sure he has control of how he wants to spend his days. Oh, he drinks from a big non-spillable dog water dish. I put a half a cat litter bucket there with water in it too because he does drink a lot, but so far all he's done is pull off the duc tape I lined the sawed edge with so he wouldn't cut his throat.
Guess that's all I can tell ya...
The tort table in Bob's shed has Queenie, my Hermanni, in it. Her and Bob never cross paths...
Oh heck, I forget to down load the pictures into my computer...be right back...

Attachments

• IMG_3496.JPG
    IMG_3496.JPG
    357.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3497.JPG
    IMG_3497.JPG
    444.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3499.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3500.JPG
    IMG_3500.JPG
    576.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
M

Maggie Cummings

IMG_3489.JPG IMG_3488.JPG IMG_3486.JPG IMG_3492.JPG IMG_3495.JPG OK, so I took too long. Here's the rest and I just hope the whole thing makes some sense to you...IMG_3495.JPG
Well, I obviously had some trouble, but here ya go! Hope this helps...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
OOPS! Sorry...I didn't realize you were in the process, so to speak.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Sorry, kind of crashing :( but that water pit there, how often do you need to refill that? I hate kiddie pools for Cheerio's yard, and was think about a nice big pit like that.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sorry, kind of crashing :( but that water pit there, how often do you need to refill that? I hate kiddie pools for Cheerio's yard, and was think about a nice big pit like that.

All it is, is a hole I dug. So far this year I've dug it out 3 times and still today the water barely reaches his shell. So my neighbor and I are gonna dig it out deep and cement it in next month.
As of now I run the hose daily. But it's a big mud filled sewer smelling hole...cement is the thing, then you can flush out the poopies...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
So it just leeches out water like no tomorrow? :(
Alright, I'll have to look into the CEMENT WAY :D
Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you dig out the wallow you want (and add about an inch or two in depth) then mix and pour in concrete and work the concrete while it dries to get the concrete to shape the hole...I have one here that has been retired to outside of the enclosures ---it is now the waterer for the other critters that pass through the desert so they stay out of the tortoise enclosures.....lol...

M

Maggie Cummings

If you dig out the wallow you want (and add about an inch or two in depth) then mix and pour in concrete and work the concrete while it dries to get the concrete to shape the hole...I have one here that has been retired to outside of the enclosures ---it is now the waterer for the other critters that pass through the desert so they stay out of the tortoise enclosures.....lol...

Angela, did that cement pool work for you? I'm afraid as deep as is needed for Bob it will be difficult to flush out the poopie water and I'd need to make a decent slope so he can actually get out. He likes to totally cover up, head n everything and then he just stays real still underwater for 15 to 20 minutes. I say he's playing submarine, anyhow you made yours for desert tortoise size, do you think it will work for Bob? I want to do it before it gets to cold so the cement wouldn't set up. We have 70 degrees and rain right now, was 90 yesterday...so, what do ya think?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maggie, when I did one at my old place for Tatum, my leopard, I dug a hole in the middle and put a piece if pcv pipe in it that I had drilled some holes in. I then placed a drain in the end that was almost level with the deepest part of the cement pond. Then I did the cement and worked it around the drain pipe and into the shape I wanted. It worked good, except I forgot to put another tube or pipe for air so it would drain fast. I'm bad at explaining, so I hope you can understand what I did. Mind you, mine was small, only for a 1 1/2 year old leopard at the time.

M

Maggie Cummings

Maggie, when I did one at my old place for Tatum, my leopard, I dug a hole in the middle and put a piece if pcv pipe in it that I had drilled some holes in. I then placed a drain in the end that was almost level with the deepest part of the cement pond. Then I did the cement and worked it around the drain pipe and into the shape I wanted. It worked good, except I forgot to put another tube or pipe for air so it would drain fast. I'm bad at explaining, so I hope you can understand what I did. Mind you, mine was small, only for a 1 1/2 year old leopard at the time.

I like the idea of it so I'll go to a pool place and talk to them about it...or maybe another TFO member knows? But I love the drain idea...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No such thing so fancy as drains here...lol....I am a bit more old school/redneck....

Maggie, the concrete pallet is about 4 to 5 feet at the longest point...and about 3 feet wide, with the deepest point/center enough to allow an adult male desert tort to sink himself about 3/4 of the way...plenty deep enough but such a gradual slope that it is easy for them to enter and exit..I have always remembered what a man told me, this man build dams that were designed to stop the the mojave river in some areas for the purpose of water pooling for cattle in the middle of the desert..so here is what he said...for every foot of height you want--be sure to allow 2 feet of gradual support ....so for a height of 1 foot you would need at least a 2 foot slope to support the 1 foot...well, if you invert that you can set up a pooling on a smaller scale...am I explaining that right? so if you want a 1 foot final depth you will need 2 feet of gradual slope inward to the deepest part....this will allow the tort to move in and out without losing footing...so I would imagine if you want an ultimate depth of 2 feet you will have to plan an entrance and and egress both of at least a 2 foot gradual slope leading to the deepest point....and so on...the trick I found is the playing with the concrete while it dries....this will allow you to shape and then smooth so there are not jagged spots but also allow you to offer some traction...

In order for the pallet to be cleared out ...you can do one of the following...you can simply place the hose into the soaker and let it run for awhile to flush/float out the old while replacing with the new water....or you can do like I do and plant my feet and grab both sides of the concrete form and lift a bit...which causes most of the water to flow out and then I use a strong nozzle on the hose to power wash the slab and then when it is clean I simply let the pressure back and fill it back up (sounds like alot, but once you get your knack, it goes quickly...)..

M

Maggie Cummings

No such thing so fancy as drains here...lol....I am a bit more old school/redneck....

Maggie, the concrete pallet is about 4 to 5 feet at the longest point...and about 3 feet wide, with the deepest point/center enough to allow an adult male desert tort to sink himself about 3/4 of the way...plenty deep enough but such a gradual slope that it is easy for them to enter and exit..I have always remembered what a man told me, this man build dams that were designed to stop the the mojave river in some areas for the purpose of water pooling for cattle in the middle of the desert..so here is what he said...for every foot of height you want--be sure to allow 2 feet of gradual support ....so for a height of 1 foot you would need at least a 2 foot slope to support the 1 foot...well, if you invert that you can set up a pooling on a smaller scale...am I explaining that right? so if you want a 1 foot final depth you will need 2 feet of gradual slope inward to the deepest part....this will allow the tort to move in and out without losing footing...so I would imagine if you want an ultimate depth of 2 feet you will have to plan an entrance and and egress both of at least a 2 foot gradual slope leading to the deepest point....and so on...the trick I found is the playing with the concrete while it dries....this will allow you to shape and then smooth so there are not jagged spots but also allow you to offer some traction...

In order for the pallet to be cleared out ...you can do one of the following...you can simply place the hose into the soaker and let it run for awhile to flush/float out the old while replacing with the new water....or you can do like I do and plant my feet and grab both sides of the concrete form and lift a bit...which causes most of the water to flow out and then I use a strong nozzle on the hose to power wash the slab and then when it is clean I simply let the pressure back and fill it back up (sounds like alot, but once you get your knack, it goes quickly...)..
Thanks I'll have to do something before it's too cold for the cement to set up....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You didn't ask for it, Maggie, but I'm going to give it anyway (my opinion, that is). I think Bob's yard is too small as it is and having a great big mud pit in it takes away too much of the grazing area. I would fill it in with dirt and let the grass grow there. If he wants to splash water up on his back squirt him with the hose. :)