Planning an outdoor winter sulcata shed

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I have a similar heater and an insulated garage that is about 16' x 15' with a pitched roof that is probably 18' tall. It keeps the whole place in the 80s if I run it all the time. I have a russian so its not as important, and its also crazy inefficient and expensive (lesson learned for the year, next year he gets brumated!) but anyway those radiator heaters really do heat places well so long as the heat can be retained.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
What about ventilation? Ideally I'd like this to be comfortable year round, and be able to withstand potential periods of prolonged cold with snow or ice. Most homes around here have ventilation in the roof, through soffits and a ridge vent, or some other method.

A lot of the shed models offer various options for ventilation. What's the best choice for this use case?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
@wellington and @Maggie3fan - do your sheds have any windows? The vendor I'm looking at offers insulated windows, and while the natural light would be great, I feel like it would be a huge source of heat loss.

thanks! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did have a window in mine but I board it up for winter. It won't be built air tight so I wouldn't worry about adding them unless you feel you need them for summer. It's easy enough to throw a board and insulation over them.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@wellington and @Maggie3fan - do your sheds have any windows? The vendor I'm looking at offers insulated windows, and while the natural light would be great, I feel like it would be a huge source of heat loss.

thanks! :)
My window is a hole with a piece of wood covering it when needed. I miss having a real window when it's 100 degrees outside, and the torts need air...

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
My window is a hole with a piece of wood covering it when needed. I miss having a real window when it's 100 degrees outside, and the torts need air...

Thanks. I'll have to give the window more thought. It's probably easier to seal it up if it turns out to be a bad idea, than it would be to have a window installed after the fact.

Do you have any ventilation in the shed? Most of the ones I'm looking at have gable vents and some have ridge vents. It seems obvious that I wouldn't want vents letting in outside air, but I'm concerned about having issues with condensation, mold, or ice dams if it's not ventilated.

I took another look in person. I feel like the mini barn style might be more difficult to insulate, and would make mounting things from the ceiling more challenging than an a-frame model:

Mini barn:
1680959516018.png
1680959429542.png

A-frame style:
1680959488099.png
1680959538303.png

With the A-frame style, I could put rafters across at the top plate, which would make mounting lights and heaters easier. I could then add insulation against the roof sheathing (with baffles to keep the insulation from being directly against the wood). I could then add an additional layer of insulation between the new rafters, making a ceiling for the interior.

With the mini barn style, I'll need to add insulation against the roof sheathing all around, and it might make mounting things more difficult. On the other hand, it's less area to heat.

Looking at the pictures, I'm starting to think 2x4 framing will not allow for enough insulation, and I may need to go with 2x6 framing.

Decisions, decisions! Any input is welcome :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How high is the top plate with the barn style, about 48"?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
initially, i would have said i prefer the barn style because if you put joists across, the loft/attic created would have more room for storage with that style roof, but then noticed the walls weren't full height walls before beginning the roof. so the A frame is probably the better way to go. in any case, I would put joists across creating a lower ceiling for mounting lights, making storage above, and making it easier to heat.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I ordered a cottage style 8x16 shed, framed with 2x6's to add extra insulation and a custom 3x3 tortoise door - I'll update once it arrives!
Can I pick the interior paint colors before I move in?!😁

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I ordered a cottage style 8x16 shed, framed with 2x6's to add extra insulation and a custom 3x3 tortoise door - I'll update once it arrives!

Thanks again for everyone offering advice. I ended up designing this:

1691628283035.png

It arrived today!
F3IVfqBXIAAZzEX

now, to insulate the inside and get electricity in there before winter!

1691628568598.png
I plan to put 5.5" of XPS insulation in the walls/ceiling and 3.5" on the floor, before putting horse stall mats down as the primary substrate inside

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
@wellington @Maggie3fan What wattage are the radiators you use in your sheds? If they are over 1000w, what thermostat are you using with them?

The insulation cutting and fitting continues! I'm using Great Stuff Pro to fill the gaps between the insulation and the studs, then cutting off the excess before installing the next layer of insulation. The front wall is almost fully insulated now

1692748791047.png

1692748831892.png

Still sorting out the electricity, but hoping to have it up and running by the end of September. 🤞

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
@wellington @Maggie3fan What wattage are the radiators you use in your sheds? If they are over 1000w, what thermostat are you using with them?

The insulation cutting and fitting continues! I'm using Great Stuff Pro to fill the gaps between the insulation and the studs, then cutting off the excess before installing the next layer of insulation. The front wall is almost fully insulated now

View attachment 360674

View attachment 360675

Still sorting out the electricity, but hoping to have it up and running by the end of September. 🤞
I don't think you will need radiators. I think a small candle will heat it up just fine.😁

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

View attachment 360674

View attachment 360675

Mine is a 1500 watt. 600/900 split. I'll get the thermostat info tomorrow.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Mine is a 1500 watt 800/650 split built in thermostat. It's 18 years old, a DeLonghi and keeps my shed at a constant 85 degrees all winter. Don't forget to line the floor w/that sheet stuff. I had a che fall to the floor and it burned thru 3/4 inch plywood into the pink fluffy stuff that was just catching fire when I discovered it
So my personal advice is to use that Styrofoam sheet under the floor as well...