First Time Tortoise Owner

Bullet2013

Hi Everyone,
My name is Kathy and I live in Naples, FL. I got "Bullet" who is a baby Sulcata for Christmas. This summer we went to a pet store and they had a very large Sulcata Tortoise (not for sale) see attached photo of him with my son. I fell in love with him. We moved to Florida 3 years ago, and I love anything Florida, so when I saw this tortoise I knew he would make a good addition to our Florida family. My son and boyfriend ended up buying me a hatchling for Christmas.....I will admit I was ill prepared for him and I have been searching different sites for information. All I can say is I am so glad I found your site..I believe this site has saved Bullet's life because just about everything the pet store told us to do according to your site was wrong. I had found other sites that had good information indicating the pet store was wrong too leading me to keep searching for more information, I think that's why he is still alive (I'm not sure on the sex, we call him a he) because I kept on searching...but this forum by far is the easiest and most informative for newbies.
Thanks to this site, this weekend we will be doing a home makeover for him based on the information and pictures I found here. Currently his enclosure is a small aquarium (again pet store sold them that) where I put a little spot for grass, some rocks, a wood bark hut and the foundation is ground walnut shells, from what I read here tonight I don't think that's the best for him...again pet store sold it to them...
Being new I know I DON"T KNOW ANYTHING about tortoises, so any advise is greatly appreciated and I take No offense to suggestions or ideas because I can tell you I am so in love with this little creature, that if something happened to him I would be devastated. So advise away.
Being in Florida (except the last 3 days) our temps have been in the low 80's so Bullet has been outside and loves it....I love the pics provided for outdoor setups.....
For those wondering why we named him bullet, if you live anywhere that has Comcast commercials with the turtles, "Baby on the loose" That kids a bullet, you can figure out that after seeing that commercial, we laughed so hard we decided that when we got our tortoise his name would be Bullet, because that kids a bullet and I am surprised how fast outside he moves around.
Sorry this is so long but I am so excited to have found this site to make sure I provide the best home for Bullet.
2013-10-03_12.10.59.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:). Please read Toms great threads at the bottom of my post for raising a smooth, healthy sulcata. With the Florida weather and humidity, your little tort should get some good outside time every day that temps do permit. Always being sure he has shade and it's not too hot.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome to the forum. I also live in Florida, but further north, in the panhandle. Naples if real nice to raise a sully. Tom's threads are wonderful. Read them over and over until you know exactly what to do for Bullet. I advise you to read Tom's threads listed below my name so that you can be further aware of dangers to little Bullet. Please keep us posted of his progress.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kathy welcome to the TFO from AZ . You already a head of most tort ouners . Your here looking for help and
Information . And you will have many happy moments with you new child
( the tort ) good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kathy:

Welcome to the Forum!