First time Tortoise owner.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
Thank you for the kind welcome Krista!

Thank you for the reminder about the liner! I had home depot on my to do list for the day and couldn’t remember why! Do recommend the liner just on the bottom or on the side walls as-well?

I’ll be sure to send a lot of photos of him once he moves in.
When I make my liners I usually do the bottom and about 5 inches up the side of the walls, but my enclosure is made of expanded pvc because of it being heat and water resistant. If my enclosure was made of wood I would go higher. I use a pressure sprayer to hose down the substrate everyday and the spray splashes up quite a bit on the walls above the 5 inches. Probably 10 inches up the walls would be sufficient.

NamedNut

SW Washington
When I make my liners I usually do the bottom and about 5 inches up the side of the walls, but my enclosure is made of expanded pvc because of it being heat and water resistant. If my enclosure was made of wood I would go higher. I use a pressure sprayer to hose down the substrate everyday and the spray splashes up quite a bit on the walls above the 5 inches. Probably 10 inches up the walls would be sufficient.
Thank you Krista!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Going to respond in order.

Thank you and I hope to be a great keeper as well. A big reason why I'm so excited about this journey is because my Wife who does not care for reptiles but is willing to learn about tortoises as they don't creep her out. So far she helps clean up after feedings and spot cleans his enclosure throughout the day, this is huge for her. Also my 8 and 5 year old are fascinated by him (closely monitored while around him). It's important to me that they learn how to care for animals properly and respect them.

I'm glad you mentioned the light and heat, after reading your care guides I was discussing with my wife that it would appear that my lighting setup is one of if not the first thing I need to change. Your recommended methods appear to be more practical for both the animal and the pocket book... win win.

Yes, much to learn regarding plants.. I suck at growing plants, but I will force my self to learn! Ordered the broadleaf seed mix and hay mix from Tortoise supply. Also ordered ZooMed calcium and vitamin per your care sheet, without D3.

I'll start planning the outdoor enclosure! We have an old cyclone dog run that is about 8' x 20'. I think this will be a good start to the enclosure. What would you recommend I top it with? How far into the ground should I go on the perimeter? I'm very nervous about leaving him outside overnight regardless of the enclosure he's in. We have a ton of racoons and opossums around us, plus a ton of cats.

Do you think I should cancel the vet appointment? I have no concerns regarding his health at this time. My thought was to get a general check up and have a place to go incase of an emergency. Not concerned about the money (I don't say that in a arrogant way), just want what's best for the Tortoise.

I read the part about your outdoor shelter and will most certainty be mimicking it.

I'm very pleased that I found this forum as well!

I'm running short on time and will start a separate post as your recommend regarding my fish keeping. You and I will be able to go on for hours. More to come on that tonight!

Thank you very much for your time and kind welcoming everyone!
That dog run sounds awesome. That's a great size. If it has a chain link type roof, I don't think you need any cover over it at all. Let the sun through and have shade plants and various hides for your tortoise to escape the summer heat and sun. I would put a 12 inch visual barrier around the bottom. You can get 32 linear feet from one sheet of plywood if you cut it into 12 inch strips. They will cut it for you at Home Depot. Put the plywood on the inside and screw into 12 inch tall sections of 2x4 on the outside of the enclosure, like so:
IMG_7276.jpg

About growing plants: I can grow them just fine. The trouble I have is stopping the local rodents, lagomorphs, and insects from destroying them all the time. I prefer to just scavenge. I have weed patches all over the place, and local mulberry trees or grape vines provide great food in the warmer months. I also grow lots of spineless opuntia, but its a constant battle to keep the bugs off of them.

About the vet: Often they do more harm than good. I generally don't go to a vet unless I have a problem, but I know lots of vets and can call their cell anytime I need anything, so I'm probably not a good example. There is a benefit to knowing a local vet and being on-file in case there is ever a problem. Its a judgement call. Just be aware that you will probably get all sorts of incorrect care info, and likely be offered treatments that are necessary, and sometimes harmful.

NamedNut

SW Washington
That dog run sounds awesome. That's a great size. If it has a chain link type roof, I don't think you need any cover over it at all. Let the sun through and have shade plants and various hides for your tortoise to escape the summer heat and sun. I would put a 12 inch visual barrier around the bottom. You can get 32 linear feet from one sheet of plywood if you cut it into 12 inch strips. They will cut it for you at Home Depot. Put the plywood on the inside and screw into 12 inch tall sections of 2x4 on the outside of the enclosure, like so:
View attachment 356301

About growing plants: I can grow them just fine. The trouble I have is stopping the local rodents, lagomorphs, and insects from destroying them all the time. I prefer to just scavenge. I have weed patches all over the place, and local mulberry trees or grape vines provide great food in the warmer months. I also grow lots of spineless opuntia, but its a constant battle to keep the bugs off of them.

About the vet: Often they do more harm than good. I generally don't go to a vet unless I have a problem, but I know lots of vets and can call their cell anytime I need anything, so I'm probably not a good example. There is a benefit to knowing a local vet and being on-file in case there is ever a problem. Its a judgement call. Just be aware that you will probably get all sorts of incorrect care info, and likely be offered treatments that are necessary, and sometimes harmful.
Good idea with the plywood and 2x4, will steal it for sure!

I’ll ponder the vet and if I keep the appointment, I have time to decide.

I bought the Arcadia light fixture kit you recommended today and put in a flood light bulb in for basking, pissed to find the note in the attached photo on the shelf at the hardware store. How will this affect us? I went to four stores before I found TWO incandescent flood lamps.

Not to get political, but the government really pisses me off someti….. all the time.

Disclaimer, lights are at temporary heights and will be adjusted with the aid of a temp gun and 6.5 UV meter. also attached a photo of where I have the flood light and UVB positioned on the table. Do you think I’ll need additional UVB coverage down below? What about heat..? My house is conditioned year round at about 68*. It’s dark out and all room lights are off.

Attachments

• 36054FBE-FCAF-4389-985B-CE3D944CB74B.jpeg
    36054FBE-FCAF-4389-985B-CE3D944CB74B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 93501841-B111-46B5-A820-4E934869520C.jpeg
    93501841-B111-46B5-A820-4E934869520C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good idea with the plywood and 2x4, will steal it for sure!

I’ll ponder the vet and if I keep the appointment, I have time to decide.

I bought the Arcadia light fixture kit you recommended today and put in a flood light bulb in for basking, pissed to find the note in the attached photo on the shelf at the hardware store. How will this affect us? I went to four stores before I found TWO incandescent flood lamps.

Not to get political, but the government really pisses me off someti….. all the time.

Disclaimer, lights are at temporary heights and will be adjusted with the aid of a temp gun and 6.5 UV meter. also attached a photo of where I have the flood light and UVB positioned on the table. Do you think I’ll need additional UVB coverage down below? What about heat..? My house is conditioned year round at about 68*. It’s dark out and all room lights are off.
I don't think you need additional UVB as long as the tortoise goes up there sometimes. I do thing you need an additional basking spot on the lower level and abundant LED lighting all around.

NamedNut

SW Washington
I don't think you need additional UVB as long as the tortoise goes up there sometimes. I do thing you need an additional basking spot on the lower level and abundant LED lighting all around.
Anything in particular with the “abundant LED”? Or will a “normal” LED screw socket bulb do the trick?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Anything in particular with the “abundant LED”? Or will a “normal” LED screw socket bulb do the trick?
The screw socket types work just fine. I like to use the "globe" type in those, but that is not "required". The under cabinet mount types work well too. They sell one of those at Walmart that is easy to use and install for about $35.

NamedNut

SW Washington
The screw socket types work just fine. I like to use the "globe" type in those, but that is not "required". The under cabinet mount types work well too. They sell one of those at Walmart that is easy to use and install for about $35.
Brilliant, I’ll get the ambient light sorted out. Thinking a floor stand light with directional heads, similar to the photo I’ve attached. Please let me know if you see a flaw with this plan, will get one with shades that direct the light “down” and not all over the place… if that makes any sense at all LOL.

Also, I added a second basking lamp this morning on the lower level, again, not the final placement. Look good?

Going to put in a 6mil liner today. Substrate should be here tomorrow, need to find a local bulk source. Orchid bark is just fir bark… correct? Nothing fancy about it… so If I go to a landscape store that sells in bulk and request fir bark they will most likely give me the correct stuff…? Kinda funny but I decided on the Orchid Bark based on your posts on this forum during my lurking days months ago.

Attachments

• 2A2DA124-6A88-48AF-B7EA-E76F7B021ED7.jpeg
    2A2DA124-6A88-48AF-B7EA-E76F7B021ED7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • A410D65B-E7A9-4FF4-B664-E1BE1F3413DB.jpeg
    A410D65B-E7A9-4FF4-B664-E1BE1F3413DB.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Brilliant, I’ll get the ambient light sorted out. Thinking a floor stand light with directional heads, similar to the photo I’ve attached. Please let me know if you see a flaw with this plan, will get one with shades that direct the light “down” and not all over the place… if that makes any sense at all LOL.

Also, I added a second basking lamp this morning on the lower level, again, not the final placement. Look good?

Going to put in a 6mil liner today. Substrate should be here tomorrow, need to find a local bulk source. Orchid bark is just fir bark… correct? Nothing fancy about it… so If I go to a landscape store that sells in bulk and request fir bark they will most likely give me the correct stuff…? Kinda funny but I decided on the Orchid Bark based on your posts on this forum during my lurking days months ago.
All looks good to me.

I buy my orchid bark in bulk from a local nursery:
Orchid Bark.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You need to be careful what you use for substrat in Washington...a good portion of our 'fir' products actually contain pine...which is toxic to torts...so read carefully before you buy...

NamedNut

SW Washington
You need to be careful what you use for substrat in Washington...a good portion of our 'fir' products actually contain pine...which is toxic to torts...so read carefully before you buy...
I asked before I bought it and was told it’s fir. They bag it from the large bulk piles. See photo - let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 162E518B-2A83-46D4-9C97-036DDDB9B341.jpeg
    162E518B-2A83-46D4-9C97-036DDDB9B341.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
What I am trying to say is...in the PNW "fir" in bulk can and does also have pine in it. The store owner has no clue as that's standard here. Regardless of what the store clerk says, in Oregon and Washington pine is also added in the fir pile. You think they are gonna keep the firs and the pine separate? No it's all together in the pile. Believe me that's what I personally have discovered...just sayin

NamedNut

SW Washington
What I am trying to say is...in the PNW "fir" in bulk can and does also have pine in it. The store owner has no clue as that's standard here. Regardless of what the store clerk says, in Oregon and Washington pine is also added in the fir pile. You think they are gonna keep the firs and the pine separate? No it's all together in the pile. Believe me that's what I personally have discovered...just sayin
If there’s pine in my bark, what are the health symptoms I should watch for?