New Sulcata Owner - first tortoise

BobbiandZumi

Hello! My name is Bobbi and I live in central KY. I just picked up my first Sulcata. The owner said she had "him" a year and a half after purchasing him at a pet store. The store said they had him for 6 months and believed him to be a year old when she was purchasing him. He's been living in a 30 gallon aquarium, had no light, & has been on a kale only diet. "His" new name is Zumi. Unfortunately, he'll remain in his aquarium at nights until I can get his table completed & I'm getting his light tomorrow. I may have a million questions for you guys, but I'm very excited to provide this guy/gal with a bright future. Referring to my Zumi as a he until I know his gender later.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Bobbi welcome to the TFO from AZ . Why don't you put up a enclosure outside and let it eat the grass outside and get the free UV light from the sun and bring him in at night ? But good luck with your new family member ( the tort ) . And have a great tort day .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

BobbiandZumi

I failed to mention we are doing that as well! That's step 1 of our many projects. All of this happened very quickly. I'm determined to give him the best future my years can afford. We're already madly in love with him. image.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Salutations.
Sorry we have a question limit, it is 999,999, so a million is simply out of the question. :)
Feel free to ask away, and it is grammatically ok to refer to it as a him, until you know the gender.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here. We got lots people can answer your million question.

BobbiandZumi

A friend tagged me in a local Facebook Yard Sale ad three days ago. It wasn't a difficult decision as I have been turtle/tortoise obsessed since I was a little girl. I have been researching every spare moment, my only concern is doing the best for him... And keeping my question count at or below 999,999. I'm currently at 1. It's going by too quickly!!! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bobbi, and welcome to the Forum!

Zumi might be female, but he's just a tad too small yet to know for sure. Nice-looking little guy though. Some of the best outdoor time I've had in my many years is building tortoise pens. Its a wonderful, relaxing endeavor.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

BobbiandZumi

I'm gathering my plans today & starting this weekend. Trying to find a solid predator proof plan.

M

Maggie Cummings

Are you going to bring him in at night? If not then you need to run electricity to the enclosure so he can warm up on colder days or nights. If you have raccoons or other smart predators you'll have to figure out a 'coon safe enclosure.

BobbiandZumi

Yes, he'll have a daytime enclosure outside for sunlight & a table inside for nights & cold seasons. I finally have the style that I want that can I can build onto with a shed when he's bigger. It will keep out potential predators too (I do hav fur babies that aren't adjusted yet) I spent over half of my day researching, measuring, & planning. If this hadn't been so sudden, I would have preferred to be prepared before getting him... But it'll come together! I'll share the progress!

G-dog

Oklahoma
Welcome. I'm new too, but this forum is amazing and everyone is so willing to help.

Kaitlynn

Minnesota, USA
Welcome! "He" is adorable! I do not know mines for sure gender either so I refer to it as a "him"as well! :)