First time tortoise owner!

Megspeaks

Hi everyone, I'm Meg from Hawaii.

Today I became the owner of a Leopard tortoise hatchling! He is adorable yet unnamed as of the time of this post (boyfriend has not met him yet and will be assisting with name).

I am honestly completely confused about how to care for him. Everything I've been told by the people I purchased him from is completely different from what I've seen online. I haven't really poked around this site yet (I look forward to it) but I would just like some pointers on diet and habitat, and my biggest question is about the heat lamp- they told me leave it on 24/7 for now since he is so little still, but my room gets pretty hot during the day. Would it be better to turn it off when I go to work or would it be safer to just leave it on?

I want him to be happy and healthy and outlive me. Thank you in advance for any advice you can share!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Meg welcome to the TFO from AZ . Go to the search section and put in tortoise libery how ever you spell it . And can read about a leopard diet . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404031536.487566.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Meg, and welcome to the Forum!

Is the "heat light" just a heat emitter, or does it also provide light? If light, then it needs to be turned off at night. Your baby should be living in a habitat that doesn't get any cooler than 75F degrees, so you'll need to find a heat source without light for night time if your house cools more than 75F.

Read the threads up at the top of the Leopard section. We have some good pointers in there for keeping leopard tortoise babies.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

judotortiose0310

WANTED!!! HEALTHY BABY SULCATA TORTOISE 50-60 DOLLARS USD (includes shipping) BE ABLE TO SHIP TO MY DOOR... This is for my son please help