First Time Tortoise Owner - He won't eat veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

brando

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
We recently got a Northern Redfoot from Petco. We were also duped by Petco...told we were geting a female cherryhead and turned out to be a male northern redfoot. Anyway, we can't get him to eat his veggies. He loves fruit and will eat chicken, but no veggies. We've tried Kale, brocolli slaw, carrots, spring mix lettuce, romain and zucchini. Any tips???

Thanks,
Brandy

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
How long have you had him? How are you keeping him? temps,humidity levels?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: First Time Tortoise Owner

Hi Brandy:

Welcome to the forum!!

brando

5 Year Member
Nevada
We've had him for almost three weeks now. He has a tank with heat lamps and vitamin lamps, his snuggle spot where he sleeps, and his water dish. His tank temp is high 70's. We mist his tank several times a day for humidity. He has his regular meal late morning. He bathes everyday and then goes for a walk and has a snack.

He does eat anytime he's given food he just won't eat the veggies. I've seen him eat lettuce three times. When we bought him the lady at Petco said he didn't eat well. He ate right away, but just the cantelope. He definitley has a sweet tooth.

Kenny said:
How long have you had him? How are you keeping him? temps,humidity levels?

Thanks for the tip. I'm in the desert in Nevada covered in snow right now. I'm sure I can find some dandelions in the summer, but will check the health food store for hibiscus.

terryo said:
Hey Brandy. Welcome to the forum. How about some dandelion or Hibiscus with some flowers.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Your tank is too cool. I keep mine 88* day time and 78* minimum night time
heat him up a bit and it should make a big difference. also make sure yo're not using any coil bulbs. They have very negative effects on torts. If you have a coil, remove it immediately.

good luck

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
dont feed the other stuff. tough love. he needs to eat good stuff too. so give ony veggies and see if he tries it out of hunger..
soakings and warmth may help too..

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
had a problem like that once when my male was shipped to me . drove me crazy. all he wanted was to gobble up water, then started eating clover & other greens. guess the other owner didnt give him the water he needed. good luck lindy

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Welcome. I would try chopping the veggies and fruit and mixing them together then after a few days mix a little less and see if he starts eating it.

brando

5 Year Member
Nevada
Thanks for all the welcomes and tips on getting our little guy to eat his veggies. We'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.