Is This Old Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
terryo said:
I have a large planted vivarium in my house where I keep the younger Box Turtles who can't go outside yet. The hatchlings are kept in a smaller planted vivarium. I try to mimic what would be happening to them if they hatched in the wild to prepare them for when they are older and live outside permanently. I have a turtle garden that they go in when they are older, and I never took in any eggs, so this is just how I raised any babies that I found out there. I've seen them nibbling on a plant or a spring mix sprout in the vivariums, so I know they are following their natural instincts. I guess I do it this way, because it's what my Father did with his box turtles, and just how I've always done it. He always taught me to try and keep things as natural as possible. Like I said, not written in stone.....just how I do it.

Actually I was referring to diamondbp's post.

Mine that turned two this month is huge. The size of an adult. It's hard to think of her as a "baby".

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
To me a two year old is still too small to go outside with the adults. It would get bullied and I'm sure wouldn't get her share of the food that I offer. I've never seen a two year old that is the size of an adult, although my young GC is a little bigger than the Easterns and Three Toed's.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
terryo said:
To me a two year old is still too small to go outside with the adults. It would get bullied and I'm sure wouldn't get her share of the food that I offer. I've never seen a two year old that is the size of an adult, although my young GC is a little bigger than the Easterns and Three Toed's.

Mine is 5.25 inches SCL and last week weighed in at 434 grams. So a small adult size.

Status
Not open for further replies.