SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
But meanwhile, good for you for trying to do right by it and honor your father. Sounds like you will be sure to see it gets to a good home.

GaiaSulcataLover

Monroe, Georgia
We are all here because we love tortoises and love talking about them and learning about them. You found the right place.

Shame you can't figure out something outside. Your climate is just perfect For sulcata this time of year, and pretty darn good in spring and fall too. What about something like this that you could put a lock on?
View attachment 358695
With a heated shelter for night time, and some shade for day time, your tortoise could be outside all day in your hot humid weather. This would greatly reduce the effects of the pyramiding.

Its pretty simple to build some 18 inch tall walls on a sheet of plywood. Then add some legs on casters, and then you could roll it around if needed. If you aren't handy that way, find someone who can help. Hire a handyman, or ask a friend or neighbor? Family?

The issue with your indoor plan is that there is no way to heat and humidify an open table. Even in your humid climate, its nearly impossible to maintain any humidity with heat lamps, ceramic heat emitters for night time, and even more so when you turn on your home A/C in summer or heat in winter. An open topped enclosure is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. Its just physics. It can't work. Living in these open topped dry conditions is what caused the pyramiding in the first place. Did you learn that yet? Pyramiding is not caused by food, or UV, or lack of UV, or calcium, or any of the things you might have googled. Pyramiding is CAUSED by growth in conditions that are too dry. Your new tortoise needs monsoon conditions. Warm and humid.

Finally, more bad news, but don't worry too much about this one. There is nothing you or anyone can do about it now, except exactly what you are doing, which is housing, feeding, heating, and caring for this tortoise correctly now. I just wanted to address something brought up earlier. When started correctly and raised correctly, they are typically around 18 inches and 30 pounds by this age. It is pretty common to see them smaller, and you have already seen all the reasons why. This is not necessarily a big deal, and with good care, your tortoise will soon grow into the giant he/she was meant to be.
Short
How well do you believe the pet store wasn’t telling you a sob story to make you buy the tortoise? I honestly find it hard to believe that is a 3yo sulcata kept without the right heat, light, or humidity? The 3yos I see on Craigslist that have terrible care (albeit with natural sunlight here in SoCal) all look like hand grenades.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you were a mark and a good salesperson knew what to tell you to separate you from your funds. Check back with that store regularly. See if a month from now they have another tortoise with the same story.
That may well be the truth, and I will check back with the store when I can. Though the conditions they were keeping her in at the shop weren’t better than the sob story I was being fed anyways. Honestly, I just want to get her to a good home at this point.

Obbie

Minnesota
This is the current set up I have, the tank, the reptile dome fixture and Gaia (My Sulcata) were sold to me as “a set” from a local exotic animals shop. I’m not going to say I necessarily “rescued her” as she was bought from that reptile shop as a hatchling by some college kid who was hiding her in his dorm, she was then returned to that same shop about 2 and a half years later because the college found out she was being kept in the dorm. The previous owner and after being returned, the shop as well had her in this tank (probably most of her life she has been in this tank) They offered to sell her off to me for a lowered price as people usually only wanted the babies. The shop keeper, a self-proclaimed “Sulcata expert” who had been keeping Sulcatas for “over 30 years” said she’d be fine in this 40 gallon tank for at least the next 20 years or so. I knew that was BS from the get go as I’ve wanted a sulcata for over a decade and had done enough research to know that this tank couldn’t possibly house her for more than a few years at most (if that) This shop is also the one that told me she is female, however true that may or may not be. She was in a rather sorry state there (already had pyramiding starting in her shell, shop owner said this was normal, I know it is not) and all I knew was that I wanted to get her out of there and some place better, hoping that place could be with me as a part of my family. I had already known that this reptile shop had given me misinformation before even purchasing her, now I’m seeing that just about everything they told me was wrong.
I seem to be in the same boat as you !!! I got my Sulcatta, Mali 🇲🇱 9 years ago.
i have been sad as I’m not sure where she should be. I moved to Green Valley AZ 4 years ago. Pretty sure she’s happy, she’ll follow me around anywhere
I’m 68, and never thought I would ever have one. I have a dollie to move her around. My family would like me to get her into a rescue. My only hesitation is, I see tortoises in large enclosures. Everything Tom has told me, they should not be housed together. They can bully, another tortoise, ramming and knocking them on their backs. Even zoo’s will keep them together. What can I do ?

SafariWoman

Illinois
We are all here because we love tortoises and love talking about them and learning about them. You found the right place.

Shame you can't figure out something outside. Your climate is just perfect For sulcata this time of year, and pretty darn good in spring and fall too. What about something like this that you could put a lock on?
View attachment 358695
With a heated shelter for night time, and some shade for day time, your tortoise could be outside all day in your hot humid weather. This would greatly reduce the effects of the pyramiding.

Its pretty simple to build some 18 inch tall walls on a sheet of plywood. Then add some legs on casters, and then you could roll it around if needed. If you aren't handy that way, find someone who can help. Hire a handyman, or ask a friend or neighbor? Family?

The issue with your indoor plan is that there is no way to heat and humidify an open table. Even in your humid climate, its nearly impossible to maintain any humidity with heat lamps, ceramic heat emitters for night time, and even more so when you turn on your home A/C in summer or heat in winter. An open topped enclosure is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. Its just physics. It can't work. Living in these open topped dry conditions is what caused the pyramiding in the first place. Did you learn that yet? Pyramiding is not caused by food, or UV, or lack of UV, or calcium, or any of the things you might have googled. Pyramiding is CAUSED by growth in conditions that are too dry. Your new tortoise needs monsoon conditions. Warm and humid.

Finally, more bad news, but don't worry too much about this one. There is nothing you or anyone can do about it now, except exactly what you are doing, which is housing, feeding, heating, and caring for this tortoise correctly now. I just wanted to address something brought up earlier. When started correctly and raised correctly, they are typically around 18 inches and 30 pounds by this age. It is pretty common to see them smaller, and you have already seen all the reasons why. This is not necessarily a big deal, and with good care, your tortoise will soon grow into the giant he/she was meant to be.
Tom, I have been looking for an enclosure like this. Can you tell me if this is a kit that can be purchased somewhere? Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I have been looking for an enclosure like this. Can you tell me if this is a kit that can be purchased somewhere? Thank you.
Tractor supply. It is sold as a "chicken coop". Put a visual barrier around the bottom and they work great.

They also have a removable panel that will allow you to attach a night house to one side so you don't have to use up any of the interior space in the cage.

GaiaSulcataLover

Monroe, Georgia
I seem to be in the same boat as you !!! I got my Sulcatta, Mali 🇲🇱 9 years ago.
i have been sad as I’m not sure where she should be. I moved to Green Valley AZ 4 years ago. Pretty sure she’s happy, she’ll follow me around anywhere
I’m 68, and never thought I would ever have one. I have a dollie to move her around. My family would like me to get her into a rescue. My only hesitation is, I see tortoises in large enclosures. Everything Tom has told me, they should not be housed together. They can bully, another tortoise, ramming and knocking them on their backs. Even zoo’s will keep them together. What can I do ?
I believe tortoises of most species are fine to to kept in groups, just never in pairs as pair dynamics and much more different than group dynamics. In a pair dynamic there will always be an alpha and that’s where you would see that type of “bullying” and aggression come through. Don’t take me word as the Bible though, this is just my understanding of the situation. *IF* you were to surrender your Sulcata to a rescue that had more than one other Sulcata and was housing them all in a big enough enclosure I think your tortoise friend would be just fine.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Groups can work. Pairs are the problem.

Why give her to a rescue? Why not find a loving home with another family if you aren't able to keep her?

GaiaSulcataLover

Monroe, Georgia
Tractor supply. It is sold as a "chicken coop". Put a visual barrier around the bottom and they work great.

They also have a removable panel that will allow you to attach a night house to one side so you don't have to use up any of the interior space in the cage.
How much do these coops usually run for? Just, if you’d happen to know. Also is it possible to buy a ready made “night house/ night box” And would you still need to have another humid hide inside if you had a night house attached and the enclosure was outside?

SafariWoman

Illinois

Thank you so much. Wish I had seen this before I bought this cheap, flimsy one from Wayfair. I can literally push the wire mesh in with one finger so that was money down the drain. Guess you get what you pay for. Thanks again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much do these coops usually run for? Just, if you’d happen to know. Also is it possible to buy a ready made “night house/ night box” And would you still need to have another humid hide inside if you had a night house attached and the enclosure was outside?
Last I checked they were $699 here in Southern CA. It might be cheaper elsewhere. They are solid, sturdy and long lasting. I use them to house my hawks, and my parents use two put together for their chickens and the one in the pic is for their tortoise.

No one makes night houses. You have to build your own, or have someone build it for you. I can link you to examples and much helpful info when the time comes. Here is one:

In your climate, you probably don't need to add humidity.

SafariWoman

Illinois
Last I checked they were $699 here in Southern CA. It might be cheaper elsewhere. They are solid, sturdy and long lasting. I use them to house my hawks, and my parents use two put together for their chickens and the one in the pic is for their tortoise.

No one makes night houses. You have to build your own, or have someone build it for you. I can link you to examples and much helpful info when the time comes. Here is one:

In your climate, you probably don't need to add humidity.
Thank you so much for this information. My brother can build most anything, so I can forward the night box info to him and ask him to build one for me. The Tractor Supply Store nearest to me has the chicken coop you mentioned for around $700 so I'll be looking to buy one (after we take apart the cheapo one we put together last week). Any other info. you feel is useful would be greatly appreciated. Your knowledge is amazing! Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much for this information. My brother can build most anything, so I can forward the night box info to him and ask him to build one for me. The Tractor Supply Store nearest to me has the chicken coop you mentioned for around $700 so I'll be looking to buy one (after we take apart the cheapo one we put together last week). Any other info. you feel is useful would be greatly appreciated. Your knowledge is amazing! Thank you.
Here are some threads to share with your brother that will help him to understand the goal a bit better. I am self-taught and very amateur, so your brother might know of ways to do this even better.

This one shows more of the construction, components and techniques:

CAD diagrams:

Materials list:

I hope this info helps, and post what you learn and how it all ends up.

SafariWoman

Illinois
Here are some threads to share with your brother that will help him to understand the goal a bit better. I am self-taught and very amateur, so your brother might know of ways to do this even better.

This one shows more of the construction, components and techniques:

CAD diagrams:

Materials list:

I hope this info helps, and post what you learn and how it all ends up.
This is really great information. In the future, I will check your posts whenever I need to research something rather than haphazardly search random posts. Not saying the other members don't have great info too, but yours is very detailed and to the point. I'm learning so much. Thank you!

Reactions: Tom