Lighting and Heating

Tank & Scooter

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
This is what I mean when I say they do everything together. They eat, sleep and even poop together when I shower them. I really hope I don't gotta spilt them up20180410_172130.jpg

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
My tortoise usually ignored mint. I thought he didn't like it because of the strong smell, but today he chowed down on it. We have it growing in the yard.
Thanks, I always get nervous with new foods. Hey I live in Los Angeles, my house doesn't have installation. Today it was 100 degrees in my house. What do you recommend I do in hot days ? I just turned heat lamp off left uvb light on and showered them. Can they overheat in 100 degree temps

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thanks, I always get nervous with new foods. Hey I live in Los Angeles, my house doesn't have installation. Today it was 100 degrees in my house. What do you recommend I do in hot days ? I just turned heat lamp off left uvb light on and showered them. Can they overheat in 100 degree temps
They can overheat, especially smaller tortoises. I live in the central valley of California, my tortoise lives outside full time and we have many days over 100F. He survives because he has shaded damp areas he can go to when he gets too hot. In the wild, they dig burrows for this purpose. Make sure the substrate is very damp and deep so they can burrow into it if they want. It's helpful if you can get a temperature gun. Aim it directly at their shell so you can see how warm they really are. If you put your enclosure on the floor, it will be a little cooler down there.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
This is what I mean when I say they do everything together. They eat, sleep and even poop together when I shower them. I really hope I don't gotta spilt them upView attachment 235711

You definitely have to split them up. Doing everything together is the most obvious sign of tortoise aggression. They aren’t being friendly, they’re trying to stress the other out enough to get them to leave.
You nearly gave me a heart attack when you said you were going to release one [emoji23]

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
They can overheat, especially smaller tortoises. I live in the central valley of California, my tortoise lives outside full time and we have many days over 100F. He survives because he has shaded damp areas he can go to when he gets too hot. In the wild, they dig burrows for this purpose. Make sure the substrate is very damp and deep so they can burrow into it if they want. It's helpful if you can get a temperature gun. Aim it directly at their shell so you can see how warm they really are. If you put your enclosure on the floor, it will be a little cooler down there.
Okay, I work nights so I check on them all day. I'm thinking I have to build them a actually cave maybe out of pvc pipe? Put it unground in the enclosure so it's insulated by soil ? I'm sure that will have lower temps then my house. 100 is the limit, it rarely goes over 100.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I also forgot to mention I took out all sphagnus moss. I kept catching them eat it. I would see it in there poop. I also inspect there poop daily because they were both constipated when I got them. They would drag poops around the enclosure stuck to their bum. I started daily baths instead of 3 baths a week and there poop problems cleared up in 3 days. One think to mention. I never see them pee. I never see powder or toothpaste pee. Why?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I also forgot to mention I took out all sphagnus moss. I kept catching them eat it. I would see it in there poop. I also inspect there poop daily because they were both constipated when I got them. They would drag poops around the enclosure stuck to their bum. I started daily baths instead of 3 baths a week and there poop problems cleared up in 3 days. One think to mention. I never see them pee. I never see powder or toothpaste pee. Why?
They are probably peeing in the soak. It's good not to see powder - that would mean they are dehydrated. They don't always release urates.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
They are probably peeing in the soak. It's good not to see powder - that would mean they are dehydrated. They don't always release urates.
Ya I was keeping an eye out for powder or paste but couldn't find non, thanks. I give them daily baths from 15 to 30 min. I usually wait for them to poop. So I'm sure there hydrated thanks.

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
giphy.gif

Go to Tom’s care sheets and also read beginner’s mistakes. These guys know what they’re talking about.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
giphy.gif

Go to Tom’s care sheets and also read beginner’s mistakes. These guys know what they’re talking about.
Ya thanks, I just joined yesterday. But before that, every question I would Google, he answer would come up. I already realized he's the man when it comes to this stuff lol. I read all his care sheet and info. I read somewhere that most tortoise data is outdated and he has good new Info that's not 50 years old

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
Read the info and make the necessary changes ASAP. It will save you from making mistakes that will cause your torts to suffer. It is amazing how much harmful and incorrect information is posted on the internet regarding raising desert and grassland tortoise species.

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
I'm sorry, but I have 2 Sulcata, they've been together since birth. I've done tons of research on both sides of this fence. My two have a huge indoor enclosure, their house is more than big enough. They choose to be together and sometimes they choose to be apart. There is no aggression. The moment I see any issue I'll take care of the problem, but, until then, I'm keeping them together. Our babies are not in the wild, they are in captivity, things have to be a bit different.

trump-wrong-gif-3.gif