Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
futureleopardtortoise said:
but I see too many people that think their wild and dangerous exotics are "friendly" and "love them". These kinds of stories usually end with someone getting ripped to shreds by a beloved family "pet".

This is sadly, all too true. We've all seen the chimp, bear and big cat stories on the news or TV. What you don't see on the news is the 100's of people in my business that I personally know, that go decades without ever having any "incidents".

The only comment I have is that we need to avoid the pitfall of infringing on the rights of millions, because of a few dumba$$es that are so monumentally stupid that they cause a disaster and end up on the news. I say: Punish the few idiots and leave the millions with some common sense alone.

Well stated! :cool:

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Tom said:
Anyone that argues that probably hasn't thought about the fact that dogs have been kept as pets for thousands of years, and most of the larger breeds of dogs are actually some of the furthest bred from wolves. They also failed to consider the fact that as a pack animal, the dog and even wolves are very receptive to training and bonding with humans because humans will generally replace their "pack". Biggest difference between wolves and dogs is that for thousands of years dogs have been bred to maintain the mentality that wolves outgrow upon reaching sexual maturity. Dogs and young wolves are very submissive and always willing to learn from those higher up than them in the pack. Wolves outgrow this after being taught all they really need to know about pack life, and then their mentality becomes "if the leader is weaker than me, I am going to take him down and become the leader myself". I am willing to bet that most grown wolves see humans as physically and mentally weaker than themselves, which is why most privately owned wolves either end up euthanized or thrown into a reserve before their second birthday.

Here you are wrong on all counts. Both about the wolves and the dogs. Sorry...:(

Hmm, what are your theories on the statistics (I can't remember the exact numbers now) that show the correlation between a "pet" wolf's surrender to shelters and/or preserves and it's sexual maturity? Just curious? :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Anyone that argues that probably hasn't thought about the fact that dogs have been kept as pets for thousands of years, and most of the larger breeds of dogs are actually some of the furthest bred from wolves. They also failed to consider the fact that as a pack animal, the dog and even wolves are very receptive to training and bonding with humans because humans will generally replace their "pack".

You assume too much. I'm acutely aware of all of this. My point was that a large canine (dog, wolf, whatever, same difference) has the physical capability of killing an adult human.

I'm not in any way an advocate for getting rid of every exotic animal. I just think that it is ludicrous to assume they are actually your "pets"

I agree. Something can be said for anthropomorphism, and then people simply trying to get their captive animals to conform to a particular regime. They buy a boxer and expect it to act like a terrier. They get an iguana or tortoise and expect it to act like a dog. They buy a bird and expect it to act like an audio recorder.

Like I've said before, I view my reptiles more like I view my aquarium fish: very interesting exotic animals in which my enjoyment comes from observing their behaviors. I don't handle them much, except for maintenance and occasional health inspections. ON the opposite of the spectrum, there are people who cuddle with their lizards and tortoises in their lap while they watch TV, dress them in costumes, etc (members on this very forum even!) or let their snakes sleep with them in the bed at night. And a lot of people fall somewhere in between on the scale.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please, folks...let's don't start an argument. If you don't have a favorite snake, there is no need to reply on the thread. This is not a debate or a debatable topic. The OP merely wanted to see if there are other members on the TORTOISE forum who share his interest in snakes and was curious what kinds were favored.

I don't like snakes, so I didn't respond. Its as simple as that.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
Kristina said:
Neal said:
Kristina said:
p436144293-3.jpg

This would be a basilisk, correct?

Nope, Hairy Bush Viper, Atheris hispida. Comes from Uganda and Kenya. Pretty freakin' cool ain't he? LOL.

Oh my goodness; that has to be the coolest-looking snake I've ever seen.

As to recent conversation, I have a hard time feeling sorry for rats because they're vermin. We got ourselves a cat because of them. My Burmese python readily accepts frozen/thawed/warmed rats, but the ball python refuses. If they're not alive and running around the enclosure, she isn't interested. She's pretty cute, too; she deserves to eat.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I've never kept a snake as a pet. Several lifetimes ago, there was a big bullsnake hanging around an area of my yard where I had to go to read the electric meter. I caught it and held it long enough to get photos and show the kids, then released it back into the same area. I loved the way it smelled!! Kinda sweet. So, I guess bullsnakes are my favorite.

wellington said:
Mine is very boring compared to yours. My favorite is ....drum roll.....GARTER snakes:p. I used to catch them as a kid. After asking my dad of course if it was indeed a garter, then I would catch it. I always let it go though.:D. Good memories.

Yay for garters! I love those little guys. When I'm watering I always squirt a little under my garden shed just on the assumption that someone's living under there.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
I apologize if my previous posts come across as vindictive. I do take the herp hobby very seriously, ALL parts of it, even the factions I'm not really a part of. It really does sadden me such a significant portion of a particular group (in this case, tortoise keepers) have this disconnect and have drawn a line in the sand between themselves and snake keepers. You are not the only person I have encountered with this mentality, and in all the years I have spent interacting with various people at herp societies, expos, other online forums, etc. this is really the only place I have encountered it in large numbers. I can't really explain it, but just calling it how I see it...

I concur that narrow-minded wasn't the correct term. "Uneducated on certain subject matter" would be more accurate. Now I know that sounds harsh, but its the simple truth. You were making several statements regarding subjects that, you quite simply know very little about. I responded in kind. Ignorance is not a bad thing, as long as you are willing to treat it. I'm not asking you to go out and get a snake or anything, but some of your comments I found very stereotypical, and likewise offensive. It was if someone were to say, well, anyone who has a tattoo is a heathen destined for the pit of hell." A completely untrue statement on several accounts, but this isn't about religion or body art. I was just illustrating a point.

I myself have said ignorant things on occasion. I try my best to keep an open mind, and when someone corrects me, I thank them for setting me straight because as a student, I want to make sure the stuff I'm learning (and therefore, conveying to others) is the most accurate information.

I have loved snakes since before I could pronounce the word snake properly! I want a sthnake, I would tell my mother. My interest in reptiles and amphibians has been a life long obsession. Keeping snakes as pets is something that is part of who I am. I love it more than anything. I travel the world photographing them and educating people about these misunderstood beautiful animals. My interest enriched my understanding of all creatures. I often encounter snake haters. People who say "the only good snake is a dead snake!". This saddens me. They don't see what I see. Snakes are always the underdog. I feel like I am their champion. Their vanguard. I stop traffic to save them. I crawl under peoples homes to save rattlesnakes from a shovel to the head. Do my pets respond to me? No. They are primitive animals. But they are my pets. Are all people capable of responsible ownership? No. But the same could be said for dogs!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
poison said:
Nixxy said:
Mangrove Snake. Entirely. :)

a body of mine was envenomated by one

Sketchy...how many..bodies..do you have?

:p

Either way, it's not that bad. Mangroves aren't really dangerous to humans, and they are pretty docile.

poison

5 Year Member
lampshade said:
What kind of snake is this?

lampshade said:

View attachment 25094

a gaboon viper

Nixxy said:
poison said:
Nixxy said:
Mangrove Snake. Entirely. :)

a body of mine was envenomated by one

Sketchy...how many..bodies..do you have?

:p

Either way, it's not that bad. Mangroves aren't really dangerous to humans, and they are pretty docile.

a mangrove is not docile in fact it is known for its bad temper. though im sure you can come across some calm ones like all snakes

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
I once saw a King Cobra in a pet store in Charlotte NC. This was about ten years ago. They kept him in an enclosure the size of a refrigerator box. All glass. This sucker raised up to eye level with me. Yknow that point where fear causes you to freeze? Yeah I had it. They had all kinds of really exotic pets in there. Even a Green Mamba. They were closed down the next time I went by there.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
poison said:
a mangrove is not docile in fact it is known for its bad temper. though im sure you can come across some calm ones like all snakes
[/quote]

I agree. I know a couple folks who keep them. They're not a species known for being docile. And although no fatalities have been attributed to the species, their venom is enough to cause severe swelling.

Heck some people have had some pretty severe reactions from western hognose.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
CHANGE OF MIND:
Actually, my favorite snake is the water moccasin that didn't bite me when 5- or 6-year-old me caught it. My aunt was freaking out, telling me to "throw it! throw it!" I couldn't believe she was telling me to get rid of my new best friend, but it was heavy, and I let it go.

The last water moccasin that I saw in captivity was so grouchy it was striking at anything and nothing. I realized then how lucky I was. Then again, I've always loved snakes. Maybe they love me back. (I'M KIDDING - sort of)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lampshade said:

I'm no expert and could be wrong, but I believe that is a rhino viper. If I am not mistaken (and I very well could be), last I heard they were considering the rhino as a subspecies of the Gaboon. The Gaboon is one of my favorites, although I do not want one in my home. I appreciate them in other people's collections, and have been lucky enough to handle them a couple of times. (With proper tools, not "hands")

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Kenazfehu said:
CHANGE OF MIND:
Actually, my favorite snake is the water moccasin that didn't bite me when 5- or 6-year-old me caught it. My aunt was freaking out, telling me to "throw it! throw it!" I couldn't believe she was telling me to get rid of my new best friend, but it was heavy, and I let it go.

The last water moccasin that I saw in captivity was so grouchy it was striking at anything and nothing. I realized then how lucky I was. Then again, I've always loved snakes. Maybe they love me back. (I'M KIDDING - sort of)

I almost caught a brown recluse spider when we were out camping once. I thought it was a wolf spider. Then I got busy doing something else, decided to come back later, and couldn't find it after. My uncle caught it in a jar the next day, and that's when we found out what kind it was... I counted my lucky stars after that :D

Tom said:
lampshade said:

I'm no expert and could be wrong, but I believe that is a rhino viper. If I am not mistaken (and I very well could be), last I heard they were considering the rhino as a subspecies of the Gaboon. The Gaboon is one of my favorites, although I do not want one in my home. I appreciate them in other people's collections, and have been lucky enough to handle them a couple of times. (With proper tools, not "hands")

Ehhh, the gaboon is just one of those animals that gives me nightmares. But I have major hemophobia, so that's probably why

colatoise said:
I once saw a King Cobra in a pet store in Charlotte NC. This was about ten years ago. They kept him in an enclosure the size of a refrigerator box. All glass. This sucker raised up to eye level with me. Yknow that point where fear causes you to freeze? Yeah I had it. They had all kinds of really exotic pets in there. Even a Green Mamba. They were closed down the next time I went by there.

Probably weren't keeping a lot of those snakes legally, if they closed down so unexpectedly :p

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member
My favorites are Blood Pythons and Trans Pecos Rat snakes. Caulker Cay boa as well as sabogae.

poison

5 Year Member
MooingTricycle said:
My favorites are Blood Pythons and Trans Pecos Rat snakes. Caulker Cay boa as well as sabogae.

yaeh blood pythons lol

Status
Not open for further replies.