Thinking about getting a larger snake, help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
From what you have said, two words: Dumeril's boa. I would describe them exactly lime you describe what you are looking for. I currently have a pair, and have been around dozens. I have never run into one that isn't a sweetheart. Here is a website with more info: http://www.dumerilboa.com/

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Been reading up on that Dumerils Boa a bit. It does sound like a good fit for me. Still open to suggestions though. You guys got skills lol

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Over the course of more than 30 years of herp-keeping, I grew (6) Burmese pythons to more than 15'...the largest was a hair under 20' when she died! I've NEVER had a tempramental Burm. I raised Amazon Basin Emerald tree boas for a number of years...back in the late 70s and early 80s. They were the most common back then...now they cost more than a pretty penny. I only mention them because unlike the other emmies, these guys are real tractable...I've NEVER heard of anyone being bitten by one of them. There are several breeders of these guys...but the BEST is Tony Nicoli. Check out his site.

www.boas.net

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Weda737 said:
I want a good sized snake with a good personality, one of those ball python hybrids would be neat, but I'm more thinking about a nice jungle carpet python, maybe a red tail? I don't know, but I'm not really finding much about the personalities of these snakes, people are only focused on the "morphs" and how pretty they are, I don't care if my snake is a blotchy ugly mess, as long as it's got a decent calm demeanor. Anyway, can anyone tell me a little from experience, are any of these snakes particularly ill tempered? I know ball pythons are very reluctant to bite, but I want something a little bit larger, nothing over 6 feet if possible. Know anything about carpets or red tails?

A male redtail rarely gets over 6' in captivity, and, if handled often, stays gentle. Females often stay at or just under 8', and again, if handled often, stay gentle.

Can't think of any other boid that stays consistently gentle, except Burms and Indians, and they both get huge VERY quickly.

Balls are nice, but don't get over 4-5 feet, depending on gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.