Fake plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
In my local pt store they have these wonderful plants to help mimic the reptiles real habitat.. I'd like to buy a few and make my enclosure more interesting.. But I'm concerned that the tortoise would try and eat it? I don't want to put them at risk of anything I just want to know if its okay to use these fake plants in The enclosure ?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Why not use real edible plants? You'd have to replace them periodically,or leave them in pots & rotate them to give them a chance to grow back, but that wound add interest & grazing.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
Okay il try buy some real plants do you know what plant I could buy? And also could you get them from outside ?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
You could get house plants as well. Spider plants, aloe vera, or buy some online.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Spider plants are good. Grow one on the window sill and it will throw out runners ofnbaby plants that youncan use to replace the ones that get eaten in you enclosure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The fake plants do work. How about tossing in some bird seed for the sprouts? Or take small flat containers and grow seeds and once they become nice size, you plant the entire container into ground level of the enclosure. Those containers the spring mix come in are nice for that or small kitten litter boxes. You can find (like at WalMart) small seed packages for only 20 cents (now some are 50 cents) of various greens and even squash vines (feed the blooms).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoises try to eat the fake plants. I can't use them.

They also eat any real plants I put in there, so buying plants in the store with all the systemic pesticides in them, is not an option for me either. I must grow my own.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have had good luck using fake plants with my leopard. I wouldn't put them around my Russians, I think they would try and eat it. They try to eat everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.