Fake plants

PenguinFan

Is it alright to put fake plants from a fabric store in with a tortoise or will they try and eat it. . I'm new at owning a tortoise. . Thank you

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum penguin!:D when i put fake plants in my russian torts cage, they tried to eat it so i would say no fake plants. but on this forum i have heard people use fake plants with there torts and the torts never even try to eat the fake plants. I would say its all up to your torts if they can have fake plants in there cage or not. lol:)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It will totally depend on your tort and the plants you get.....I would avoid plants that mimic yummy fruit or berry bearing kinds...the redfoot here don't pay any mind to the silk plants --other than to hide in or under them...I would not say that silk plants are the thing for every tort--but you can give it a try...also, the tort may walk up a time or two and sniff and try to nibble...but will likely learn rather quickly....

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well. I tried live plants. Trust me, I tried everything. He killed EVERY SINGLE ONE. I just gave up, after a while, because he simply wouldn't quit! Anyway, without any green, it was looking dismal and dead in his table, so I bought some silk leaves and flowers (whole trip less than 20$) and some pet safe hotglue. I glued the plants parts onto little stick bases I created with the glue (hot glue won't purchase onto rock) and a day later I have the best freaking unkillalbe green fake plants. And you know what? It's like they don't even exist! Oh yes, he'll trample around, but he hasn't touched those plants. But yes, like acsoot, said, depends on the tort :D
Best 20$ I ever spent.