Euthanizing a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
My question to everyone who is for freezing a tortoise, Why not going to the vet for euthanasia? The tortoise is already in pain, so why freeze it, it must be soooo painful :(.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Isa said:
My question to everyone who is for freezing a tortoise, Why not going to the vet for euthanasia? The tortoise is already in pain, so why freeze it, it must be soooo painful :(.

Because a vet is not always available.... say like on a country road at 2 AM

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am really lucky here, because there is an emergency vet available 24/7 but it is true that it is not everywhere that a vet is available 24/7.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Freezing might be "humane" but how long would it take for the animal's pain to be alleviated by freezing? Seems as though it would take a while?

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
This is the first time I have come across this thread, and gosh was i suprised!Who in the right mind would freeze a tortoise to death? As meg90 said you wouldnt do it to your dog!
I personally dont believe in the injecction but its something that has to be dont.. You dont want to see a loved one in pain do you?
My vet is around 24/7 too!
xx

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
and decapping the animal is even worst! Im sorry but how can anybody think of this? Thats worst than freezing!
IMVHO If you dont have a vet around 24/7 well to be honest i dont know what to think. To someone else crush is a tortoise to me he is my human baby.. and I think I could never do this to any1/thing!
xx

How much would your vet charge you to euthanize an animal at 2 am? [/quote said:
My vet yes would probly be alot but a pet is for life which is why I save money for anything like that!
MY 2 cats and 1 dog are on insurance!
Crush has a savings bank account by me and i put him 50% of my wages in there a month and the odd bits
EG i get £208.25 a month
Crush gets 50% £104 + the extra £4.25

But thats me .. I know some poeple may not be able to afford it!
xx

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
My vet yes would probly be alot but a pet is for life which
[/quote]

Where does my original post mention "pet"?
There are numerous instances where a situation might occur where a seriously, badly maimed tortoise might be encountered (note the lack of the word "pet"). On the road, in the wild, etc etc. Many people might have a tortoise or turtle, but might not have an emotional attachment like you do. Or possibly a breeder, etc.
The purpose of this thread was to obtain some real, practical advice for situations when A VET IS NOT AN OPTION, for whatever reason, not to argue about who loves their pet more.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Im not trying to argue anything :( sorry you think that way it was just my opinion!
Fair enough.. not a pet!
But I still couldnt do it!
Not my thing!
xx

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Ive seen many peacfull euth by injection.. and Ive seen animals poked and poked and stressed and scared before the end comes.. Injection isnt always great either.. if they fight it , they struggle and panick and cant breath as they shut down.. it isnt always pretty.. Sedating first is best..
I know people who rehab wildlife and to euth a bird, they use Brake Fluid. They put the bird in a small plasitc box and soak a rag with the fluid. they die from lack of good oxygen.. Im sure its not always good either..
If the animal is so sick or injured and dying.. and to the point of being almsot comatose.. I would think the freezer would be a good option. People who have died in the snow,, just appear to go to sleep and not wake up..

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Maybe you could find a neighbor who could do the gruesome for you :( ... Someone who isn't squirmish or attached... send them away to the guillotine... Hate even thinking about this. My girls are way too young... I hope we can all die together in our sleep when I'm old

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Having to put down an animal of any kind...be it a pet, or something found on the road.....is usually hard for anyone. I would keep it warm, and get to a vet. Most will take in emergencies. I know people who feed live pinkies to their torts....they are not my "pets", but I could never do that either.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Those in the snake keeping business have all kinds of ways to put down the live rats before they feed them to their snakes. Live rats could injur the snake, so pre-killed and frozen\thawed rats are usually preferred (and more convienient if you are not set up to keep live rats).

One way is to use plastic bins or coolers and add a chunck of dry ice. The animal falls asleep and then dies. I could look up a detailed post on how they do it if anyone is interested.

I was raised on and around farms. Hunting and fishing are also part of my life. More on the fishing side, less hunting - but mainly just because I don't have time. When it comes to putting down an animal that needs it, I have no issues with doing myself as quickly and humanely as possible. Life and death are just realities we need to learn to face.

And when it comes to pets vs human child... well, until you have your own child, you will never be able to compare. And for me, there really is no comparison. I've known so many people who's dogs or cats have been their 'children', but then when they have their own real child, their perspective drastically changes. Maybe this is not true for everyone, but certainly for everyone I personally know. Then, once they get older and the kids are grown, they get deeply attached to their animals again.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am always amused at the variety of different thoughts on this forum. And of course none of them are right or wrong just different opinons. I don't really think most of us could crush our pets heads in, even though I think decap. is the quickest way to end suffering. I mean the gulliotine was invented by a french doctor because he thought it ws the most humane way to kill a person. Now of course if my pet was in pain and suffering I would want to take it to a vet, but my local vet is not 24/7 even though I live in CA there are not a lot of 24 hour vets.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Im only 17 so crush is my baby! But i do also understand what you are saying kind of.. but i have a decade maybe more befor i have my own children XD
xx

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
1. Nobody WANTS to euthanize their pet, that's not what this thread is about.
2. I think everyone would rather take the tort to a vet to be put to sleep, but again, the OP said "if a vet is not an option".
3. Mammals and Reptiles are not the same. Nobody would think of freezing a mammal because mammals don't react to cold the same way reptiles do.
4. It's a rather gruesome thing to do, but decapitation/pithing is the quickest and most painless way without a vet (and even then, some of the articles I read said they inject the tort with something to make it fall asleep then pith it.) The OP's "that does not involve violence and gore" rules that out though.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
DoctorCosmonaut said:
... What is "pithing?" :S

It's basically inserting something sharp directly into the brain either from the back of the head or roof of the mouth directly into the brain to kill instantly.

From wikipedia:
Pithing is a slaughtering technique in which the brain of the animal is scrambled with a tool inserted through the hole in the skull created by captive bolt stunning. Pithing further immobilizes the animal after stunning and before exsanguination.

This method also refers to a procedure used in biology classes to immobilize a specimen, by inserting a needle up through the base of the skull (from the back) and then wiggling the needle around, scrambling the brain. It allows for dissecting the frog, as well as observing its living physiology, such as the beating heart and expansion and contraction of the lungs, without causing unnecessary pain to the animal. The specimen remains living because respiration continues through the skin without cerebral control, but it feels no pain once the spine is initially severed.

Not pretty, but it's very quick for the animal.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A note on freezing in a regular home freezer: When I have done it, I saw no signs that made me think the animal suffered. I know this is not proof of anything, but it does help me believe that I effectively helped deal with the suffering it was going through earlier.

A note on decapitation- SQUICK AND GORE WARNING!!!!!

Seriously- you may not want to read this if the decapitation thing has you squeamish.

Keep scrolling ONLY if you are interested.

Just FYI, the easiest way to decapitate something like a chelonian is usually with poultry shears. It is actually relatively quick, easy and comparatively goreless (as soon as the heart stops, it stops actively bleeding.) Most authorities would suggest then sticking a needle or probe into the brain to ensure that all brain activity has stopped, but that is not proven to make a difference.

chadk said:
One way is to use plastic bins or coolers and add a chunck of dry ice. The animal falls asleep and then dies. I could look up a detailed post on how they do it if anyone is interested.

Unfortunately, that is mostly the 'inhaled method' that is not as effective on turtles and tortoises. The dry ice sublimates to CO2 gas and drives out the oxygen. There is some chilling/numbing going on as well, but unless you actually freeze the tortoise, it is not going to do the job by itself safely.

The thing about chelonians is that they are so resistant to so many drugs, toxins and such. A lot of things that will kill a snake or mammal are shrugged off by tortoises and turtles.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I once had a cat that a psycho neighbor fed antifreeze. Unfortunaltely I did not know the symptoms and neither did the emergency vet I went to. The next day my regular vet knew immediately what had happened. She confirmed how far gone he was - organ failure- with a blood test. It was very obvious that george was in extreme pain and distress. The vet gave him an injection and he stopped twitching and seemed to be very peaceful as his eyes closed and he went to sleep. I completely felt it was in his best interest to euthanize him quickly, my (and a vets) ignorance cause him an extra 24 hours of severe neurological issues and pain. I will always put 110% into trying to "fix" them but I also know when I have to recognize the inevitable. I do not have experience with reptiles or tort euthanasia, but I do know that the least amount of pain and suffering for the animal, even when horrible for the human, actually is better in the long run for the human and the animal. You did the best for the animal and although you might feel horrible in the moment, You did what you felt was in the best interest of the animal.

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.