Money + Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
I put this in the the debatable topics, as I thought every one will have different opinons!

QUESTION: Should we pay to take someone elses tortoise/pet off their hands becuase they cannot keep their tortoise anymore becuase of whatever reasons?

MY OPINON: No, I dont think we should pay becuase most of the time I feel that we have to go fetch the pet ourselves, and also we are doing the right thing bringing the pet to a better home and also we will still have to pay out for food (no problem though)
Although some reasons are acceptable, why buy a tortoise if you know things will change?

THIS TOPIC DOES NOT COMPARE TO BREEDING + SELLING & ALSO IT DOES NOT COMPARE TO PET SHOPS XD

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
I think (but I could be wrong), The "Adoption fee" started with legitimate "Rehabilitators". These people would often take in an animal & give it what ever treatment or care it needed. Then after knowing the stability of the animal try to find a suitable home. This costs them $$.
Many Rehab's will inspect peoples homes & help with information when necessary. This costs them $$.
Rehab's are usually caring for more than just 1 animal at any given time. This costs them $$.

Personally I think a true "Rehabilitator" has a real need to cover the costs they incur!

Some privet pet owners & dealers have seen the "Adoption fee" as a nice way to get money (sometimes more than normal price) for animals they just don't want or cant sell!
This makes them $$.
I don't feel it is right or honest for anyone except a true "Rehabilitation" center / service / person to ask for that fee.
Just because you cared for an animal for the last 4 years & want to get rid of it, Does not mean your "Adopting" the animal out! Your selling it! Face the facts!

Ok so they are MY facts based on in-depth research of MY own feelings on the subject!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
In most cases when you answer an ad for adoption the people that are charging an "adoption" fee or a "rehoming" fee are simply selling the animals, period. Craigslist immediately comes to mind. The site does not allow animals to be sold so people simply list it with an adoption or rehoming fee to get around the phrase "for sale". I think everyone by now has realized that the "rehoming" fee is simply refers to the selling price.

I see no problem with anyone trying to sell an animal (or anything else) that they bought, made or were given. They're trying to recupe some of the money they spent on the item or animal. It belongs to them so they have a right to do that if they wish. They also are within the right to get rid of it when they want to, however they want to as long as they are within the law when doing so.

It's up to the interested persons descretion whether or not they want to pay for such an item or animal. If you don't want to pay for something just simply move on.

Honest and licensced rehabilitation centers are different than an individual that is selling his or her pets. Such places often have a large number of animals that they are caring for and definitely put much more money into the care than they would ever get in back from charging an adoption fee. Here in the U.S. some states require that rehabilitator's must be licensed and some require animal handling and care classes.

It's my opinion that both an individual and rehabilitation center have a right to charge whatever fee they feel necessary for an animal that was in their care. That animal becomes their property and/or responsibility at that time.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
I think there should ALWAYS be a small fee, that way you know the person who picks it up is at least a partially responsible person.

Can you image if all rehome are free? Random people can pick it up just for whatever reason. Because it was free, they don't feel obligated to take proper care of it. If someone wanted to see how its like to have a tortoise, they can get a free rehome and if they don't like it, they can just release it anywhere. A person who paid at least a partial fee is most likely to know what they're doing and is more obligated in taking proper care of the pet, especially since they paid for it.

If someone was giving a free house away, I'd take it even if I don't plan to live in it. The same would apply for a lot of things that are free.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
I think I should have explained my opinion better.
I agree with the "Ownership & sale there of" after all I sell the animals that I produce!
My issue is the words used. I think a Rehab using the terms "Re-home & Adoption" is fine, As that is what they are doing. I just think that I & others like me using those terms would be misleading at best Face it there are some charitable people in the world that are just a tad naive & would the subtleties in the add.
I'm also not in favor of using these terms to skirt the "Crags list" Thou shalt not sell animals here rule!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
fifthdawn said:
I think there should ALWAYS be a small fee, that way you know the person who picks it up is at least a partially responsible person.

If somebody really was just concerned for the welfare of the animal, they could find someone responsible to take it without having to charge a fee to prove anything. I understand this maybe with cats or rabbits or rats, where people will feed them to their snakes, but with a tortoise I don't think it really applies.

To me, Craigslist has somewhat changed the meaning of the word "adoption." Like was said, it is simply a selling price. The screwy part is that it's not a set fee, or based on anything. Like if it "seems high," people flag it. If it doesn't "seem high" they leave it alone until the next bored animal rights nut flags it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think that if someone has an animal that they legally own, it is their business if they want to sell it, or give it away. No one has to buy it if they don't want to. As far as legitimate rescues go, I think they should get a re-homing fee, even if it's a small one. They have the Vet bills they have to pay. When you get an animal from a shelter, that animal has all it's shots, and is altered. They have to pay for this. They have to buy food, pay the people who work there etc....

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I understand what your all saying but I was really just meaning ordinary people like me and you guys... not re homing shelters and other businesses of this sort!
xxx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't ever pay to take an animal off someone's hands. If they are trying to find a new home I let them know that I will be happy to take the animal and find it a new, safe and caring home, but it would have to be donated, as I don't pay for them. (And likewise, I don't sell them or charge an adoption fee)

But, having said that, it is anyone's right to sell his turtles and tortoises if he can no longer care for them. There's certainly nothing wrong with it.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
emysemys said:
(And likewise, I don't sell them or charge an adoption fee)

Like it or not, let me know when you want to sell me that pretty female leopard you were showing off a while back. My money is as green as anyone elses! Don't worry, I won't tell anyone you sold it to me.....

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Kymiie said:
I understand what your all saying but I was really just meaning ordinary people like me and you guys... not re homing shelters and other businesses of this sort!
xxx

OK Years ago I did some water turtle rescue. I helped out the local ASPCA, and two non-profit rescues that aren't around any more. I always tried to find homes with a pond, and also did a lot of leg work, but I never took any money and I put out a lot myself. I also just wanted to find a good home. I usually gave them a jar of food too. I also had a monkey from a black marked bust and I had her for a few years, before I could re-home her. I never took any money for that either. But...should people take money? I think it's all according to the circumstances. IMHO...we can't judge people unless we are in their shoes.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
GOSH No way in any sort am i judgeing anyone for this, all I was asking was what do you think!
EXAMPLE I would not pay my friend the price she paid for her tortoise because of her work commitments and can no longer have it!... end of day you have to think about this befor you get any pet!
Although I would have the tortoise for a little price if she needed money!
xx

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I think that taking a tortoise as a 'rescue' there is nothing wrong with being reimbursed for the 'cost' of looking after the tortoise yourself. Why should you have to pay because someone else doesn't or cannot take care of their tortosie any more? Especially if money is an issue, iand f it isn't then maybe it's a different story but again there wouldbe nothing wrong with reimbursing yourself.

Sometimes things just change. And my circumstance would have to change a lot to have to let Alfie go. But if i had to find her a new home, i would want a bit less than the going rate i paid for her (£200 including the enclosure).I dont think that's unreasonable - but everyone is entitled to their opinnion :p

chadk

10 Year Member!
In our area we have lots of pet flippers. They pose as wanting to adopt for a perm. home, but really just want you to give it away so they can re-sell for a profit. Some are just craiglist junkies and others are actual pet stores looking for more stock to sell. So asking a 'rehoming' fee helps keep these guys away.

What many do is advertise a re-homing fee, then after they meet and get to know them and get some trust going, they remove the fee.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
So you are saying, that if I lost my apartment, and therefore had no place to keep my three tortoises, that I should just give them away to the first person that says "hey, I'LL take em, and I'm doing YOU a favor, so you can suck dirt, and I'll keep my coin----oh, but I'll give them a really good home, so its fine"

I have poured alot of emotion into my three, let ALONE cash, with two of them being 200$ alone for their purchase price. You can bet your boots if ANYTHING happened to me, and it was impossible for me to keep them that there would be an adoption fee.

Would you just give Crush and his enclosure away if you had to?

See ya later buddy, hope this person really IS serious since they aren't WILLING to pay a dime?

Free animals are garbage animals. If it is in need of a vet--who cares. Didn't cost any money, so why start paying now?

There's a differece to how people think about animals if they have been given them, or have had to work their butts off earning them.

Do you think Terryo, Maggie, or Chewbecca, or RedFootNerd--would just GIVE their tortoises away if it came to that?

S

stells

I have paid for unwell tortoises three times now.... i have a choice... to pay or not too....

It all started with Bud (Horsfield)... he was kept in a tiny viv... fed on fruit... no suppliments... hardly any substrate.... never been outside... and came to me needing treatment for protozoa... £100 paid for him...

Then there is Frisbee (Hermanns) probably the worst out of the three....... again tiny viv... no suppliments... fed fruit cabbage and pellets... no water... no outside time... no UV source... came from a friend... whom i paid £50... so she could get her cat neutered... two animals helped... he came to me extremely flat... unable to keep his man parts in place... and couldn't walk on his back end...

Then lastly the latest.... Daisy (Horsfield).... eyes shut... no history on her whatsoever.... £30... traveled for 5 hours near enough to bring her home...

Some think i am mad.... i probably am... and its not something i could do continuously... BUT if i can get a few out of a bad situation... so be it...

All these animals are still with me and will be til either my time or their time is up.... they are all doing well... Frisbee has regained use of his back end... Bud absolutely full of character... and Daisy i have just started with..

To many people just want a free tortoise.... and if i hadn't paid for these where would they be now?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Here here Stells! You do good work. Its like Eglantine, my rescued box. She didn't even know what fruit was when I got her.

Bottom line is if you want to rescue, OR to get a new pet, you should be ready and WILLING to pay the price for them. If it is advertised as free, that's great. But telling someone to MAKE their pet free, is crass.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I agree with Meg and Stells, if your willing to pay, your going to be wiling to give the tortoise the best possible home :) free tortoises will attract people who will not care for them properly!

chadk

10 Year Member!
"free animals are garbage animals"

Really???

That is pretty harsh language. Makes me want to join PETA ;)

Many of my animals were 'free' and they are just as much part of my animal family as those I payed for. My dog was free off CL. 2 sullies were free. 2 of my boxies were free. One of my russian torts was free. One of my Leo gecko's was free. My Mexican Boa was free. And none of them are "garbage"....

I've also given away animals to the RIGHT person. Others i've sold for a reasonable 're-homing' fee. But I'm always careful about who gets them.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Free animals are treated like garbage Chad. You don't change my mind on that. They are throwaways. I've seen it SO MANY TIMES. People don't CARE if it gets sick, or stops eating or dies, because they didn't invest anything into it. You are animal minded, as I am. But most people are NOT. What about the mother that just forced her son to kill his hamster with a hammer because his grades slipped, and he needed to be punished? Obviously that animal meant nothing to her.

If you had to rehome them, you'd post them all as FREE then, since that's how you got them?

Don't give me that "right person" spheel and then say you still believe in no rehoming fees. There's a line, and there are always exceptions. I've even cut PRICES when I am selling geckos, if the person can prove to me that they are a proper, loving home, and deserve the break.

But do you think I would EVER make a posting on CL and say "Two FREE CB tortoises! First come, first serve!"

No. And neither would you. You can't have it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.