identifying a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

freccia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malta
Please can anybody out there help me identify this tortoise because I do not have any idea from where to start? What does it eat?I have tried lettuce and tomatoes, but to no avail. It drinks water ok. Roams around like crazy now and is not afraid of us anymore.

freccia

5 Year Member
Malta
Sorry about that, but I uploaded it and it did not appear. Will try again.
Cannot manage to attatch the photo, it is not placing it in the thread.

IMG00187.jpg
Sorry, did not realise I had a 500kb photo limit.Anyway this is another photo of our Lilly, do not know if it is a male or female yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

freccia

5 Year Member
Malta
Sorry but I had wrote this on the hello page as I am new to this forum. Anyway, I found it under a car almost in the middle of a street, and picked it up before it would have got squashed by some car passing by. I've had it for a week and a half now, it drinks water but eats nothing. tried lettuce and tomatoes but in vain. It is pooing(excuse me), so it is eating something, probably insects, I do not know, and I am worried about it not eating. Where I found it, it was probably neglected somewhere in a wild garden (i guess). It does not look like it was taken care of really. It is getting used to my 6 year old daughter and also to us. It roams around us no problem and it seems happy with us, i guess, since she is no longer scared of us as it was when I brought her home.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It's hard to tell at this angle, but it looks like a red ear, does it have red on the side of it's head?

freccia

5 Year Member
Malta
dmmj said:
It's hard to tell at this angle, but it looks like a red ear, does it have red on the side of it's head?

yes it does have a small line in red at the end of its head though hardly visible. it has long claws or nails in the front and big rear feet. Will try to post a better photo tommorrow. But if it is a red ear, what does it eat since they are usually in ponds, though it was not in a pond where I had found her, in the middle of a street.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
If it is a red ear slider it will need a water feature deep enough to submerge in. Basking turtles cannot swallow out of water.

freccia

5 Year Member
Malta
i am questioning why was it in the middle of a street when it should have been in a pond? what does it eat?can I do something to clean its carapace?
why does it roam around and is quite friendly, got used to us?
Anyway i have put a large plant pot pan for it to drink from,I will increase the dept of the container, it will not drown will it as i do not want to kill it after saving it from being smashed by a car. actually i tried to wet it a little bit but it seemed like it did not like it so much.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It is a water turtle it will only drown if held against it's will under water, red ears like deep water usually. It may have been taken out of it's pond by someone and just let go, it could have qwandered off by itself, ther are lots of reasons why it could have been out on the street. I feed mine trout chow, minnows, nightcrawlers and earthworms.

freccia

5 Year Member
Malta
ok i guess it is feeding on earthworms on its own cos you see a couple of them in the back yard. i will make it a deep tank and a place where it can stay in the sun tomorrow and monitor it.we already have a temperature high of 28degrees celcius and a low of 20 degrees.how can i tell what gender it is?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
long front claws and long tail = male. short front claws and short tail = female

freccia

5 Year Member
Malta
ok so now at least I know I am dealing with a male red eared liner, my first turtle, I don't know if he will be liking the water or not, should I put him in or should I leave him to go on his own especially the first time?
thank you very much for your support. you have been of great help to me because now i can take good care of it. thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes...put him in the water. If it truly is a male, he was probably chased out of his pond by another male and he's looking for a new home. However, if its female, she was more than likely wandering far afield to find a good spot to lay her eggs.

When we say males have long front claws, we're talking L-O-N-G! I mean, Freddy Kruger long.

freccia

5 Year Member
Malta
the nails on the front feet are about 1.5cm long,its tail is about 5cm long and almost 1cm thick, this on an about 8inch turtle.i guess it is a male. you would not know how to approximately determine the age of this turtle? thanks and yes he has found a new home.We all love it and it seems to have gotten used to us already after a week and a half.

freccia

5 Year Member
Malta
Thanks a lot for the info, you've helped me find out what it is and how to take care of it. I really appreciate it because I could not find out what it really was, also since I thought it was a tortoise and since I had found it on land, I put it on land, wrong place poor thing. I will have to make some form of pond for it now cos it surely needs to be in the water. We'll see what we can do for it.

Thanks.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes, it totally lives in water just like a fish. It needs a rock to bask on. He would eat night crawlers and meal worms and crickets and other bugs. Slugs are another it will eat. Have you tried to find an owner? He might besome eones escaped pet. have you thought about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.