Enclosure wood

Pistachio's Pamperer

Location (City and/or State)
Tri-cities, Tennessee
Check out this post. I think it will answer your question.

-Meg

Max0606

New York City
Check out this post. I think it will answer your question.

-Meg
Thank you! I have read that post so i know that the wood is an ok type to use, but i was wondering if it was too thin because its looks very thin?

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
Is it for an outside or inside enclosure? Are you planning on painting or sealing it? Will it be used with insulation?

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
I personally would go as thick as possible without it being crazy to lift/move. Especially depending on the species you are preparing for. I have a Russian and I wouldn't trust that thickness to keep him out of trouble, as I know he's a little bulldozer.

-Meg

Max0606

New York City
I personally would go as thick as possible without it being crazy to lift/move. Especially depending on the species you are preparing for. I have a Russian and I wouldn't trust that thickness to keep him out of trouble, as I know he's a little bulldozer.

-Meg
Ok thank you!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
What species of tortoise is it for? Ur prob better off just going to home depot and grabbing a piece of plywood and have them make ur cuts for u. Id go at least 1/2 inch

EllyMae

Shellman, GA

Max0606

New York City

Ok thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Max0606

New York City
This wood here is DEFINITELY NOT something you want to use for a tort’s outdoor enclosure. Way too thin, and the pieces are only 10 inches x 10 inches square. This is really only meant fir “crafty” projects.
Ok thank you! Can you give me any good links to the right type of wood?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok thank you! Can you give me any good links to the right type of wood?

Do you have a local Home Depot or Lowes available? If you have an idea, or pix of what you plan to build, include a pix here. Both of these stores have good general contracting wood (pine) available. Are you making just an enclosure or an enclosure plus a “night box”.?

Max0606

New York City
Do you have a local Home Depot or Lowes available? If you have an idea, or pix of what you plan to build, include a pix here. Both of these stores have good general contracting wood (pine) available. Are you making just an enclosure or an enclosure plus a “night box”.?
I have both a home depot and lowes 5 minutes away from my house there right next to each other :). Ill go tommorow and take a look at what they have. I dont have any pix but i plan on adding a humid hide box on one end and maybe something over part of the cage to provide shade. What is a nightbox?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This contraption is made almost entirely out of $1 pine fence pickets...
It has survived several minor hurricanes.

image_01.pngimage_02.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you! I have read that post so i know that the wood is an ok type to use, but i was wondering if it was too thin because its looks very thin?
It probably IS too thin. "Veneer" means it's a thin layer to glue onto other wood or surfaces.