Is this a good Russian tortoise habitat

sjruff

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi there!
We have a 5 inch male Russian Tortoise. I have him in a zoomed wood tortoise cage but I wanted to switch to this one because it has a plastic tray that seems better for cleaning. I was going to buy 2 and connect them. I was concerned about if the wood and paint are safe. This is for our winter indoor enclosure when it’s cold and snowing outside.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HFRMSGC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Zippy the tortoise

Redditch
Hi there!
We have a 5 inch male Russian Tortoise. I have him in a zoomed wood tortoise cage but I wanted to switch to this one because it has a plastic tray that seems better for cleaning. I was going to buy 2 and connect them. I was concerned about if the wood and paint are safe. This is for our winter indoor enclosure when it’s cold and snowing outside.

Hi there!

Yes that looks like a good enclosure, as it has the right equipment and bedding inside

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Hi,
This is not a suitable enclosure for a RT they need something much larger, like 4x8' as a minimum. Even though its only for winter they need room to walk around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there!

No. Not a good enclosure. Even two of them together is too small.

Read this for more info:

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Two of those put together is a good winter indoor enclosure. I would not be worried about the wood or paint. I used two of the zoo med boxes as a winter enclosure for several years with no issue.
A lot of people are going to tell you to get a bigger enclosure, but that will be fine. Not everyone has room for a huge 8x4 enclosure. I sure don’t. Mine get a big outdoor enclosure all summer and have indoor enclosures approximately the size of two of those boxes.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Hi there!

Few things about these enclosures:
-Far too small for any adult tortoise
-I do not like the built in hide as it reduces the walking space even more. On another post it was recommended to remove that and add in smaller site barriers and a smaller hide.
-You can build a bigger box and line it with a shower curtain for $144 or less (or something else, there are pet safe sealants).

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Two of those put together is a good winter indoor enclosure. I would not be worried about the wood or paint. I used two of the zoo med boxes as a winter enclosure for several years with no issue.
A lot of people are going to tell you to get a bigger enclosure, but that will be fine. Not everyone has room for a huge 8x4 enclosure. I sure don’t. Mine get a big outdoor enclosure all summer and have indoor enclosures approximately the size of two of those boxes.

A proper 4x8 enclosure is 32sq ft. You think just because you dont have a lot of space, that it is ok to give your tort half that? The box in ops post is 3ft x 2ft, and only 2ft x 2ft is actually usable terrain (not counting the hide). As noted many times on this forum, Torts can survive bad husbandry, survival does not mean the conditions were just fine. Dont just keep your animal alive, give it what it needs and torts need space, 4x8 isnt enough if we are honest, it is a bare minimum.