Substrate Brand Question

sauronofmordor

5 Year Member
I want to give my Russian Tort the best substrate I can. After doing some research on here I decided on half cypress mulch and half coco coir. I am probably going to order it online, so I want to make sure I get the right product.

Cypres Mulch:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010OVM7A/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Coco Coir:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MOD2HY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Would these be the right products to buy? Also if my tortoise decides to ingest them would she be ok?

Also I am looking for a good product to read the temps in my tort's cage.

-Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No reason to use both, but it won't harm anything either. I prefer the coir for young Russians as they can easily burrow down into it and create their own little damp microclimate which helps their shells to grow smoothly.

You can get a digital wireless remote temperature/ humidity sensor at any hardware store in the garden section for about $20. The ones with a wire attached to the remote probe only run about $10. Walmart or Target has them too.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I always mix something with the coco coir as used alone it is too soft to give good traction. So I mix long fibred moss, peat moss, shredded bark, etc....something into it to make it easier to walk on and give it substance. I have never used cypress mulch myself though I have been wanting to try it.

sauronofmordor

5 Year Member
Is it safe for my tortoise if she were to accidently ingest either the coco coir or the cyprus mulch?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sauronofmordor said:
Is it safe for my tortoise if she were to accidently ingest either the coco coir or the cyprus mulch?

In small amounts it should pass with no problem. If they are eating mouthfuls on purpose, it indicates a problem. I feed them in terra cotta plant saucers to keep the food off the substrate.