Enclosure question

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
The bulb wasn't barely breaking 90 with the damp substrate and I was using a basking rock. I switched to a 150 still using the rock and now the area stays around 100. I also have dimmer switches on both lamps. Once I switch substrates I'm going to put enough in there for at least 6" and I think I could switch back to the 65?

There may be several reasons as to why the 65 watt bulb is not giving you a basking temperature of 95-100F.

1. The distance between your lighting fixture and substrate is one.

2. Another can be the quality of the instrument you're using to gauge these temperatures.

3. How sealed is your enclosure? The last picture looks like you only placed aluminum foil over the mesh. Many holes and gaps are still exposed. Tape down the foil with either regular duct tape or heat resistant tape. That should improve the insulation of the enclosure.

4. The temperature surrounding the outside of the enclosure can also affect how hot or cold the enclosure can become throughout the day.

I suggest making sure the enclosure is sufficiently sealed first before testing bulbs. It also takes a while for each bulb to reach their maximum heat output. If you're worried about any lack of holes, you can make one or two tiny ones. Some lamp fixtures also come with holes drilled into it. Many people don't see this being necessary because opening and closing an enclosure a few times a day will usually provide enough air for them.

What are the dimensions of your current enclosure?

drew54

Indiana
I believe it because the substrate is so low. Which I plan to remedy soon. I will definitely tape it down and seal it better. I'm using an infrared gun made for grills. The overall enclosure seems to be holding temps well, but in any case I will seal it. The 65 watt was left on over night to test the temps before the tort arrived. I check temps what seems like every half hour. Oh how it seems endless lol. The temp for the spot only reached 89.4 and in some spots quite lower. The bulb I have in now is maintaining temps 95-100 depending on if I mist the enclosure. The enclosure is 4'x2'x17".

Melis

Maryland
He loved his soak also! He did try to escape when it got cold. I got to get a good soaking flow down so I don't let the water get cold again.
You could keep the soaking container in the enclosure during his soak to keep it warm. Others also just soak in a sink, or tub as he grows larger. That was it’s easy to drain and refill as the water cools.

drew54

Indiana
The second soak today I did put his tub in the enclosure and i was happy that it stayed a good temp for about 30min. I have been keeping the water 100-108 and he seems to like it and sprawls his legs out. So, cute lol

drew54

Indiana
You could keep the soaking container in the enclosure during his soak to keep it warm. Others also just soak in a sink, or tub as he grows larger. That was it’s easy to drain and refill as the water cools.
How many torts do you own? i have read a lot of your posts, but i don't recall seeing them.

Melis

Maryland
How many torts do you own? i have read a lot of your posts, but i don't recall seeing them.
None at the moment! I’m kind of a creep tort forum stalker. Lol. But seriously, I had a 10 year old sulcata that I raised from a hatchling that got really sick which brought me to this forum. I was raising her using all the old outdated info and I unfortunately lost her. If I had found this forum years ago, things would have turned out differently. Now I’m trying to soak up as much info here in order to help newbies and people who were doing things the same way I always had.

We are renovating a house, but as soon as that’s over I plan on prepping for a new baby, hopefully next spring.

I’m not a complete stalker, I do have a 25 year old red eared slider that I’ve had since he was the size of a quarter, and 2 terrapins. And I always wanted to work in herpetology since I was a young. That part didn’t work out, so this forum has become a nice place to hang out and get my turtle fix. Lol

drew54

Indiana
None at the moment! I’m kind of a creep tort forum stalker. Lol. But seriously, I had a 10 year old sulcata that I raised from a hatchling that got really sick which brought me to this forum. I was raising her using all the old outdated info and I unfortunately lost her. If I had found this forum years ago, things would have turned out differently. Now I’m trying to soak up as much info here in order to help newbies and people who were doing things the same way I always had.

We are renovating a house, but as soon as that’s over I plan on prepping for a new baby, hopefully next spring.

I’m not a complete stalker, I do have a 25 year old red eared slider that I’ve had since he was the size of a quarter, and 2 terrapins. And I always wanted to work in herpetology since I was a young. That part didn’t work out, so this forum has become a nice place to hang out and get my turtle fix. Lol
That's still amazing! I know the creepy forum stalking as i still do it. I also, find it amazing that so many people dedicate their time helping others. That is quite admirable. Well, i am very thankful that i had found this forum and people like you to help other's and myself! What are the personalities of your turtles? I had never owned any just lizards back when i was a teen.

Melis

Maryland
That's still amazing! I know the creepy forum stalking as i still do it. I also, find it amazing that so many people dedicate their time helping others. That is quite admirable. Well, i am very thankful that i had found this forum and people like you to help other's and myself! What are the personalities of your turtles? I had never owned any just lizards back when i was a teen.
My slider is pretty social. The terrapins are more skittish. Keep the pics coming of your little one!!!

drew54

Indiana
Finally I got my enclosure to keep proper humidity.