Enclosure question

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hi everyone! I have been reading this forum for almost a year and just recently became a member. I have read all the care sheets etc and continue to read them. I have set up my enclosure in a large tub using reptile soil and coco coir. I have a t8 uvb florescent tube mounted inside. For heat I'm using a che on a thermostat and a 65w flood bulb. Ambient temps right now are high 90s which I will be lowering because the cool side is close to 100. I will do this tonight when I get home to keep temp 80-85 ambient. Basking is 95-100. My lid to the tub is mostly open mesh. I want to make it closed in order to keep humidity up. I was wondering if I could use cardboard wrapped in t tin foil and cut holes out for the Che and basking bulb. Would that be safe to do at least until I can get a much larger closed chamber table built? The lamps are sitting in the mesh. I will take photos later when I am able to. I keep reading all of Toms care sheets just to make sure I have it right. I receive my sulcata hatchling tomorrow from Tyler at tortoise supply under Tom's and the forums recommendation.

drew54

Indiana
The humidity when I spray gets up to 80-90% , but drops pretty fast. I also believe I have the enclosure too hot right now. I'm just hoping to get it all right before the little guy gets here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't use cardboard - too much of a fire threat.

drew54

Indiana
That's what I am afraid of, so ill not do that. Hopefully, after I post pics of it I could get some ideas on how to cover it like you do with yours. I also, read that you pour water and mix it into your substrate until it's all wet and can hold its shape. I am going to start doing that when I get home tonight. Right now my substrate is only about 2" deep. Am I correct in understanding that it needs to be a min of 6"?

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
I will let the pros give you guidance on your corrections, but big super tortoise high five for setting everything up and testing it for a while before bringing home [emoji217] baby !!!

drew54

Indiana
Thank you! I'm super excited! I know I will need a bigger enclosure and one that is more hospitable to humidity. I am working on that and hopefully I can have it done soon and get this humidity issue resolved in the meantime. I'm really glad I found this forum as it has fed my brain.

drew54

Indiana
IMG_0685.jpgIMG_0686.jpgIMG_0687.jpg

Here is some photos of my enclosure right now. The reason I chose to open it was because I was afraid I just cut out holes for the lamps it would melt the plastic around it. I also, thought I could find a way to enclose it with the current set up. Maybe figure out how to put plastic over it safely or some other way. Please feel free to pitch ideas and criticisms on my current enclosure. I'm about to dampen the substrate properly and test the temps and humidity while I try to figure out a way to enclose it. I also still have the panels I cut out of the lid if the can still be used.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
View attachment 253130View attachment 253131View attachment 253132

Here is some photos of my enclosure right now. The reason I chose to open it was because I was afraid I just cut out holes for the lamps it would melt the plastic around it. I also, thought I could find a way to enclose it with the current set up. Maybe figure out how to put plastic over it safely or some other way. Please feel free to pitch ideas and criticisms on my current enclosure. I'm about to dampen the substrate properly and test the temps and humidity while I try to figure out a way to enclose it. I also still have the panels I cut out of the lid if the can still be used.
Can't you lay foil over the top now with holes cut out for the lamps?

drew54

Indiana
Yes! Oh wow! I will do that and give an update on a few hours! Thank you!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
View attachment 253130View attachment 253131View attachment 253132

Is that substrate some type of potting soil mix? Commercially sold potting soil contains unsafe materials such as perlite and vermiculite. Both of these materials can cause impaction in tortoises. Use either coco coir and or fine grade orchid/fir bark instead.

The tiny analog temperature/humidifier gauge you have inside the enclosure is often found to be very inaccurate. A digital food/weather grade model will be a much better choice in terms of reliability and sufficient accuracy.

drew54

Indiana
I have coco coir and reptile soil mix. I have an infrared gun and a digital thermometer. I am going to get a digital hygrometer soon also.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I have coco coir and reptile soil mix. I have an infrared gun and a digital thermometer. I am going to get a digital hygrometer soon also.

Generic pet-branded products are often common products that are re-branded and re-labeled at a higher price. These products may say they are safe for tortoises, however, that is far from true. Reptisand for example, is known to be unsafe for tortoises but shop owners still sell them. Tortoise forum still gets reports of people having problems with unsafe materials such as sand from time to time.

Check the product description and make sure sand, perlite, vermiculite, and any other unsafe materials are not part of the product before using.

drew54

Indiana
So, I looked at the ingredients to the reptisoil and it does contain sand, carbon, soil, and peat moss. I will be replacing the substrate soon and not use the reptisoil anymore. I didn't think about re labeling. Is there anything that you noticed that I would need to change or add?

drew54

Indiana
Also, the orchid bark that I have found is red. If I was to use it wouldn't he try to eat it since its red?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
So, I looked at the ingredients to the reptisoil and it does contain sand, carbon, soil, and peat moss. I will be replacing the substrate soon and not use the reptisoil anymore. I didn't think about re labeling. Is there anything that you noticed that I would need to change or add?

I believe most contributors have already mentioned most of it. If you have the room I would suggest building/buying an 8 x 4 ft indoor enclosure ahead of time before so you don't have to scramble when your Sulcata hatchling outgrows your current enclosure within a year or so.

Also, the orchid bark that I have found is red. If I was to use it wouldn't he try to eat it since its red?

Orchid bark is non toxic but eating substrate is never something you want to encourage. I suggest you keep looking at different versions of fine grade orchid/fir bark for the time being. Coco coir is also a good alternative. Some people dislike how messy it can be. I personally like coco coir because of how well it insulates young and small burrowing tortoises.

drew54

Indiana
I think I'll stick to coir since I can easily get it and I need something good to hold humidity. Yeah it's messy, but I don't mind. I will be getting the plans drawn up soon hopefully, that is if work and kids allow me to, for a much larger closed chamber. I just replaced my basking bulb with a bigger watt. With the substrate moist it wasn't getting very hot. This bulb is working well and my me baby is running around. I just got him a few hours ago and he looks good. Although, he hasn't touched his food yet. IMG_0688.jpgIMG_0689.jpg

drew54

Indiana
He loved his soak also! He did try to escape when it got cold. I got to get a good soaking flow down so I don't let the water get cold again.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I think I'll stick to coir since I can easily get it and I need something good to hold humidity. Yeah it's messy, but I don't mind. I will be getting the plans drawn up soon hopefully, that is if work and kids allow me to, for a much larger closed chamber. I just replaced my basking bulb with a bigger watt. With the substrate moist it wasn't getting very hot. This bulb is working well and my me baby is running around. I just got him a few hours ago and he looks good. Although, he hasn't touched his food yet. View attachment 253179View attachment 253180

Wait. Don't swap your current basking bulb for a higher wattage one. Check your temperature levels every time to verify. Unlike an open enclosure setup, a closed chamber setup will concentrate a great deal of the energy produced in basking bulbs inside the enclosure. A 65 watt bulb may be too hot for your current closed chamber style enclosure. Test your temperatures. You might have to swap down to a 40 watt or lower bulb.

drew54

Indiana
Wait. Don't swap your current basking bulb for a higher wattage one. Check your temperature levels every time to verify. Unlike an open enclosure setup, a closed chamber setup will concentrate a great deal of the energy produced in basking bulbs inside the enclosure. A 65 watt bulb may be too hot for your current closed chamber style enclosure. Test your temperatures. You might have to swap down to a 40 watt or lower bulb.

The bulb wasn't barely breaking 90 with the damp substrate and I was using a basking rock. I switched to a 150 still using the rock and now the area stays around 100. I also have dimmer switches on both lamps. Once I switch substrates I'm going to put enough in there for at least 6" and I think I could switch back to the 65?