Another temp question please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California, central coast
My question is should I get a basking light? I have a 150watt CHE and a 100 uvb powersun. I can't seem to get the basking area hot enough. It ranges from 90-100. Is that temp too low for my 1yr sulcata? And if I don't get a basking bulb how low can I drop my CHE without burning my baby? Can I just use my CHE as a basking bulb? I'm a newbie keeper and my head is hurting from this temp stuff. I'm trying to get it just right for my tort. My enclosure is 2ft wide and 4ft long....please any thoughts will be appreciated.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
How high up are the bulbs? What angle are they pointed at? A pic might help alot here. You have enough wattage for the right basking temp, but somewhere along the line you're losing heat.

Your sully needs UVB. Don't take it off of him. If you have it, use it. Please post a pic. :) That will help me here!

Sounds like you are a good tort mommy. Worry for your baby means you love him. :D

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
The Che is in the corner (hot side) pointing straight down, about 12 inches measured from the top of his shell. My UVB powersun is next to it along the long side (makes warm middle) about 14 inches about the shell, straight down angle. Right now he's looking very perking under the CHE. He's working on corner pushing and digging moss and dirt for a nap. My daughter has the camera phone so I can't get a picture. I bought one of those temp readers at Petco (takes forever to get a temp) and I'm thinking maybe I need a better one? Oh he's napping now under the CHE, normal?

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Use the CHE for night time to keep the temp up where the tort sleeps. Use an MVB (mercury vapor bulb) during the day, 13 inches from the substrate.

I use 1 100w Zoomed mercury vapor bulb on a 4ftx4ft enclosure over the middle.

I have a post in the enclosure section, showing the setup.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
If you put the MVB in the middle of your enclosure, how do you get a "cooler" area? Isn't 13 inches from the substrate too close? I 'm sorry I am just confused on the lamps, where too put them.

chadk

10 Year Member!
how you set it up depends on your space. If you have a small tub or glass tank, you are pretty limited. But you can still have a good basking spot and warm end hide, then a cool end with a hide there as well. Keep the substrate moist as well - especially on the warm end.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is really easy. You need a remote temperature probe. All you have to do at this point is raise or lower your bulb and or CHE to get the right temp. The only way to know if you've got the right temp is to measure it with a remote probe. I recently did a post on one of these in the product section, but there are many others too. Some people like the infared temp gun type instead. I have, and use, both. The recommended distances on the package of your bulb and CHE are a good starting point, but its really important to accurately measure it.

Your CHE sounds like it might be too close to me, but the only way to know is to measure it with a good thermometer.

These can be found at most hardware chain stores, Wal-Mart, Target, etc..., for around 10-20 dollars.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
I really like reading your replys Roachman26. Your a wealth of knowledge! Tomorrow I will buy a temp probe at walmart. The one at got a petco takes too long to read. According to my "petco" probe the temp at the basking area seems to steady at 107ish. I moved it around today and kept taking temps. When I take the temps I read it at the top of his shell right, like you have said in other posts? Does 107 seem too high?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DonaTello said:
I really like reading your replys Roachman26. Your a wealth of knowledge! Tomorrow I will buy a temp probe at walmart. The one at got a petco takes too long to read. According to my "petco" probe the temp at the basking area seems to steady at 107ish. I moved it around today and kept taking temps. When I take the temps I read it at the top of his shell right, like you have said in other posts? Does 107 seem too high?

107 is good enough. Some people get a little squeamish about it that high, but I've had good results even higher. Up to 120ish. It is not necessary to go that high and it eliminates some of your margin of error, but I watch mine very carefully, and my torts seem to like it, judging from their behavior.

Yes, I like to measure at the top of the shell height. Do an experiment once you get your probe. Measure at that height and at the ground and tell us the difference.

BTW, all probes, except the infared heat guns, are relatively slow to get a good reading.

Thanks for the compliment. I think everyone wants to feel like they are helping. There is a lot of knowledge and experience on this site and I'm trying to soak it up just like you. I've learned a ton of stuff in the short time I've been hanging out here. So, thanks to everyone else too.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
I'm learning so much from ya'll, thanks. Yes my tortie really "woke-up" after his sunbathing today, what a difference. Then he ate like a horse (have 2 horses already, more poop? Nooo!!) Took a big drink of water and lapped his enclosure a few times. Now he is sleeping in his hide, Love my little DonaTello!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
It's always so hearwarming to read a story of a neglected tort on the verge of lifelong handicaps, rescued and then cared for with diligence and concern. :)

Good for you for being so good to Donatello--I'll bet he'll pay you back in spades when he grows up be full of vitality and personality. With luck, he may be almost as entertaining as Bob! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.