Ease a New Owner's Fears

NokaNoka

We put some cuttlebone in with our two 2-3 year old torts. They've been nibbling it all day long. Will they know when to stop, or should we remove them eventually?

Also, as a temporary hide away, I cut an opening into a cardboard box an taped the three flaps together so it stands. One of the torts digs at the corner -- should we be worried about it eating the cardboard?

I'm ordering the necessary materials now for a humid hide, but they needed somewhere temp to hide so they wouldn't stress.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's all good. Don't be such a worry wart. But I want you to know that you can always depend on us to help you, no matter how common or strange you might think your questions are.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yep to all the above. They will eat cuttlebone as needed. Cardboard is fine if its temp, but if you have a plasic tupperware box that would work better.

NokaNoka

Welcome to the forum. It is hard not to worry about them.

Definitely. We weren't prepared at all, really. We had mentioned to a friend we were interested in getting turtles, and he mentioned he wanted to rehome his. Lo and behold, they aren't box turtles as we (stupidly) assumed, but Sulcata tortoises.

I'm especially worried because it's our fault we weren't prepared and I really don't want them to suffer because of it. They seem happy enough for now, but they really deserve the best.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Cuttlebones are funny. Today they eat it....Then for months, they wont touch it at all. They last a long time. Just keep them from traffic so they don't get pooed on. If they do, toss them out.