Russian's first time outside overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
Hey Tortoise Forum, I have a three ish year old Russian who's been in an outdoor pen all day for the last couple weeks (it's already in the early 90s here!). I'm wondering if I should leave her out for the first time overnight tonight. Hourly weather says the lowest it'll get is 57 degrees. I know they can handle low night time temps, but is this okay? She's totally able to burrow, but she never really has and prefers to sleep in a cardboard shoe box that was originally just a temporary hide. Should I leave her out tonight? I'm in Sacramento, by the way.

Thanks in advance!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is it safe for her to be out alone at night? I mean, are there predators that can hurt her? If not, and the enclosure is secured, then put the shoe box out with her, and you may want to dig a hole large enough for the shoe box. I think she'll get the message and this way it won't be too traumatic for her first night out.

Creedence said:
Hey Tortoise Forum, I have a three ish year old Russian who's been in an outdoor pen all day for the last couple weeks (it's already in the early 90s here!). I'm wondering if I should leave her out for the first time overnight tonight. Hourly weather says the lowest it'll get is 57 degrees. I know they can handle low night time temps, but is this okay? She's totally able to burrow, but she never really has and prefers to sleep in a cardboard shoe box that was originally just a temporary hide. Should I leave her out tonight? I'm in Sacramento, by the way.

Thanks in advance!

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
I just gave in and brought her back in for the night haha. Thank you though! I'm not ready to be up worried all night. I'm going to try to make a more secure "burrow" in her pen soon. I'll try again in the probably by the end of the month. Thanks again!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Temps would be OK, but sounds like both you and your tortoise will be happier with her inside!

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I'm not far from you and this is the first weekend I've left my guy outside over night. The temps are warm enough and he just burrowed right in with no problems. Yesterday he woke up HUNGRY and ate two whole plants down to the stems leaving nothing. Guess ill be replanting his enclosure this week. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.