DROPPED MY TORTOISE

Elsiemouse

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I was holding my three year old Hermann tortoise Tally, when he accidentally slipped off the towel and fell about 4 feet (or more!!!) onto the hard concrete floor :(:(:( he landed on his shell but might've flipped a few times and skidded! he seemed a bit dazed for a few minutes and didn't move, he seems alright now but the edges around his shell seem a lighter colour? My mum said tortoises die if you drop them but will Tally be okay? It sounded like a crack/smash.
I feel incredibly guilty :(

yillt

Please could I see a photo? Tortoises shouldn't be lifted more than a foot f the ground. Especially on a towel. But don't blame yourself, mistakes happen. :( Give him loads if baths and lets wait untill the more experienced members come along and help. Maybe a vet trip wouldn't go amiss.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Make sure there is no internal bleeding, like pink under their plastron or any cracks. Check him thoroughly!

Elsiemouse

UK
Please could I see a photo? Tortoises shouldn't be lifted more than a foot f the ground. Especially on a towel. But don't blame yourself, mistakes happen. :( Give him loads if baths and lets wait untill the more experienced members come along and help. Maybe a vet trip wouldn't go amiss.
I'll try to upload one

Tyanna

Wisconsin
You might want to take a vet trip after very careful examination and looking for changes in behavior. He might be hurt, and you cannot see it.

Elsiemouse

UK
You might want to take a vet trip after very careful examination and looking for changes in behavior. He might be hurt, and you cannot see it.
Given him some food and he's eating it as normally, no changes i can see

Elsiemouse

UK
just taken this now, no visible cracks to his shell but the edges around the patterns seem a brighter yellow, might be just mind over matter but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• dsi 075.JPG
    dsi 075.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 135

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
its too hard to tell from that picture. You'll need to check real close to see if there are any chips or scratches in his shell. No bleeding anywhere? Walking fine?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
My Russian tortoises have managed to climb over their walls a couple of times in the early years; I'm thinking they fell about 3 feet onto a carpeted floor.

There was no sign of injury, so they are quite resilient. Keeping an eye on the tort that fell is essential. As mentioned earlier watch for a pinkish color showing through the lighter parts of the shell. The pink could indicate internal bleeding. Also watch for any behavior changes.

And to any new Russian owners, take heed, Russians can climb things that mere mortals would never try! With Russians, when I build a ramp, I put a slat of wood across the top in a fashion that allows me to see into the ramp but blocks the tort from climbing over the edge of the walls of the ramp.

Elsiemouse

UK
its too hard to tell from that picture. You'll need to check real close to see if there are any chips or scratches in his shell. No bleeding anywhere? Walking fine?
I'm sorry about the bad quality :( i checked real close, a few chips around the edges but they were there before. He's walking fine and no visible bleeding. There are a few chips/bumps on his belly, but i don't know whether they were there before.

Elsiemouse

UK
My Russian tortoises have managed to climb over their walls a couple of times in the early years; I'm thinking they fell about 3 feet onto a carpeted floor.

There was no sign of injury, so they are quite resilient. Keeping an eye on the tort that fell is essential. As mentioned earlier watch for a pinkish color showing through the lighter parts of the shell. The pink could indicate internal bleeding. Also watch for any behavior changes.

And to any new Russian owners, take heed, Russians can climb things that mere mortals would never try! With Russians, when I build a ramp, I put a slat of wood across the top in a fashion that allows me to see into the ramp but blocks the tort from climbing over the edge of the walls of the ramp.
Tally's a Hermann but he climbs like there's no tomorrow!! I turn my eye for a second and he's climbing my bookcase or some equivalent to mount everest

Elsiemouse

UK

Thanks for the advice and if he changes behaviour is it bad?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
If he changes behavior it MIGHT be a sign that he's hurt.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G may be able to give some advice on what to do or look for. She has many years experience and rehabs tortoises if needed. Good luck, hope all turns out just fine.