Dropped tortoise - red liquid?

Hannah89

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi all

I was putting my 8 year old Russian tortoise into the bath, got distracted, he scratched my finger and in shock, I dropped him about 20cm into the bath. He landed on his back and didn’t put his head in because he was trying to keep his head above the water. He was on his back a couple of seconds and was then put right way up.

He seems fine afterwards, he walked around the bath for about 15 minutes and now he’s back home eating and walking around.

We noticed some red liquid on his neck, can anyone advise what this could be please? Not sure if it’s blood or if I’m just panicking?

We’ve had him for 2 years and this is the first time anything like this has happened, I feel so guilty! We’re going to book him into the vets tomorrow but just wanted your thoughts
015063C7-DDD6-4B20-B73C-111DFB41D995.jpeg85750000-CE15-4D0E-88E9-CFFD597AF522.jpeg

Hannah89

United Kingdom
Also his shell seems like no damage was caused. Would it take long to show damage, like blood or something?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe just the way his head might have jerked, or a leg scratch his mouth, hard to say. Keep him warmer then normal a little bit and keep a closer eye on him. Also read our caresheet for him and make needed changes. Looks like you might be housing him on pellets and that's a very bad substrate to be using.

Hannah89

United Kingdom
Maybe just the way his head might have jerked, or a leg scratch his mouth, hard to say. Keep him warmer then normal a little bit and keep a closer eye on him. Also read our caresheet for him and make needed changes. Looks like you might be housing him on pellets and that's a very bad substrate to be using.
Cool thank you, I’ve read up and I’m going to buy some coco coir tomorrow :)