Dropped Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

franeich

5 Year Member
I dropped Bowzer my 1 year old sulcata yesterday.
I was getting him out of his table and dropped him about 4 feet onto concrete. It sounded like a small block of wood hitting the floor. He was all the way in his shell when I got him out of his cage so I dont think any limbs would be damaged. He stayed in his shell for about 15 minutes after and was peeing when I picked him up. There is no damage to his shell that I can see. After he came out of his shell I put him in some warm water for about 15 minutes with some mazuri in it. He was eating the mazuri like normal.

Should I be worried?
Is there anything I should watch out for?
Is he gonna be ok?
Im I a horrible tortoise owner?

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I would just keep an eye on him for his normal behaviors. If he eats , poops, drinks, walks ect. normal than I would say he will be fine. I know you must feel bad but it is obvious that you love him.

M

Maggie Cummings

Do you really expect anybody to say you are a horrible tortoise keeper? It was an accident, watch him and if he's acting normal stop feeling guilty about it. It was a hard fall tho, so really do keep an eye on him, but we have all done it at one time or another. I have dropped several over the years and not one ever showed any damage...I agree with Missy

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*hugs* What a traumatic experience for both of you! As already advised, just watch him for any behavior that is abnormal for him. Tortoises can be pretty tough. Think in the wild all the things that happen to them and they survive. Accidents happen to all of us.

franeich

5 Year Member
firework said:
watch for any internal bleeding.

How do you watch for internal bleeding? Thanks for all you positive words. I hope he is ok.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
That has always been a fear of mine. Sorry to hear it happened to you! Hope everything turns out okay! Don't be too hard on yourself.

firework

5 Year Member
X-ray, I think is needed to make sure there is no fracture or bleeding.

franeich said:
firework said:
watch for any internal bleeding.

How do you watch for internal bleeding? Thanks for all you positive words. I hope he is ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ugh! I have nightmares about that.

We've all done it. Only feel bad enough to make sure you never do it again.

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
owww bless you - hope hes ok - totally off topic but i hoovered up my doggies tail once , my mum was furious with me - doggie ok but i wasnt xxxxxx

mightyclyde

5 Year Member
California
I am so overly cautious my torts that I think I do MORE mistakes that way! I feel bad for you, but I can see it happening. The little guys are always raring to go.

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
When I was working with the adult Redfoot tortoises at the the National Zoo, in Washington, DC., we always made it a habit to carry them in plastic bus boy trays. Its a lot easier to carry them this way and gives the caretaker a good grip.

franeich

5 Year Member
I usually put him in a wash tub when I carry him around. I was getting him out of his hide and I have a piece of cardboard over it and when the cardboard came down It knocked him out of my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.