Do you let your russian roam your room?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Several months ago there was a member here who let their tortoise (baby sulcata) roam the yard only while they were there to watch over it. The baby was not put in a pen or a safe zone, but in the main yard with the human companions watching over it. Everything seemed wonderful. The humans interacted with the tortoise and it with them. Then one day a friend called out to the little girl and the Dad told her she could go play. The little girl jumped up and ran off but not before stepping on the baby tortoise. Long story short: they had one very upset little girl and one seriously injured tortoise that eventually died of the injury. The point is, these guys are close to the ground and anything on the ground is in their direct line of sight. Humans are not so close to the ground so the tortoise will not always be in your line of site. Mine never get on the floor indoors unless I have one at a time taking photos or maybe when I am weighing them. Never on their own to roam around. Outside they have a dedicated area that I do not walk into except in the rare case I can not get them to the edge so I can bring them back in. Little Leos can hide well in the grass and I would never forgive myself if I stepped on one of my babies.
Everybody does it differently but there is deffinitly a right way and a wrong way despite there being a ton of wiggle room. My take is if there is any possibility that something could go wrong than I will avoid that action.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Several months ago there was a member here who let their tortoise (baby sulcata) roam the yard only while they were there to watch over it. The baby was not put in a pen or a safe zone, but in the main yard with the human companions watching over it. Everything seemed wonderful. The humans interacted with the tortoise and it with them. Then one day a friend called out to the little girl and the Dad told her she could go play. The little girl jumped up and ran off but not before stepping on the baby tortoise. Long story short: they had one very upset little girl and one seriously injured tortoise that eventually died of the injury. The point is, these guys are close to the ground and anything on the ground is in their direct line of sight. Humans are not so close to the ground so the tortoise will not always be in your line of site. Mine never get on the floor indoors unless I have one at a time taking photos or maybe when I am weighing them. Never on their own to roam around. Outside they have a dedicated area that I do not walk into except in the rare case I can not get them to the edge so I can bring them back in. Little Leos can hide well in the grass and I would never forgive myself if I stepped on one of my babies.
Everybody does it differently but there is deffinitly a right way and a wrong way despite there being a ton of wiggle room. My take is if there is any possibility that something could go wrong than I will avoid that action.
I couldn't have put it better, good explanation.