Should I let my tortoise hibernate again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakehinds

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I've had "Benjamin" for about 6-7 years, and every year I'd just let him do his own thing during the colder months in Northern California. Well he's starting to sleep for longer periods of time now, and I'm taking better care of him, since I built him a huge turtle table this summer, I was wondering if I should keep him awake and not let him hibernate this year or would it screw his clock up of doing it all the other winters? I would just wait till he poops out his meal, then let him roam my room for a spot he likes and wait until he wakes up. About once a week I touched his foot to make sure he is still alive but other than that, I just let him do his thing. (Never had any diseases, or problems. Super healthy tort.) I saw someone say hibernating at room temp is bad, which my room is below room temp at night/morn. But around room temp by afternoon. Suggestions?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
That's not actual hibernating, hibernating involves having low temperatures, I'm not sure the exact temperature, look up hibernation. But they need a cold controlled environment.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: Should I let my tortoise hibernate again?

The decision to hibernate or not, is very personal. (I am pro-hibernation btw) :)
I think you should read up on it and then make an informed decision. Hibernate correctly or don't do it at all. Doing an "in-between" thing will only hurt your tortoise.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TortForum mobile app

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Whether you hibernate or not is totally up to you, but I would recommend doing some research (google e.g.) on how to properly do it. Letting your tortoise just sleep away the winter at room temperature is not actual hibernation, and is actually very dangerous for your tortoise.

Hibernation takes place at 40 degrees F (10 degrees C), and with proper preparation is very safe. Any temperatures above or below are unsafe (freezing will kill, too warm will cause too many calories to be burnt)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So you have let him perform this way for the entire 6 or 7 years? If yes, and he is healthy then something must be acceptable...maybe not optimal :)D) but acceptable.

When you say he searches out his own place somewhere in your room, does he find a kinda out of the way, under something kinda resting place? If yes, is the floor bare or carpeted where he decides to rest?
The floor area is alot cooler than folks take into account and if your home, as many others, is kept relatively cool anyway, then likely the floor is much cooler....40-55 is a good range, with alot of ups and downs undesirable....

I keep the CDTs here somewhere between mid 40s to mid 50s in a cool dark dry out of the way place and they sleep comfortably....

My grandma use to have a CDT that would seek out the same place under a bed on an old cold painted wood floor to sleep away the cold months and Grams had him for years and years and years....and he was very spry when he was up for the good months....

I have a tendency to believe that in most things, if it isn't broke, don't fix it....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.