Diarrhea vs normal

Jaimy Miller

Will a parasite infection result in constant diarrhea? By constant I mean no normal poop at all. My sully some days has diarrhea and other days perfect grassy logs...Any thoughts?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
parasites and or Diet can cause it.

Jaimy Miller

parasites and or Diet can cause it.
I'm thinking (hoping) it's diet related because it's off and on and I feel like if it were parasites he would have diarrhea all the time. However, I don't know if that assumption is accurate.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I'm thinking (hoping) it's diet related because it's off and on and I feel like if it were parasites he would have diarrhea all the time. However, I don't know if that assumption is accurate.
Maybe you could take a sample to a Vet for testing ?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I did and no parasites were noted but clostridium bacteria were seen.
I would ask the Vet if that could cause the diarrhea ? I know Speedy will get it from too much squash , or other foods of that type , in fact if he doesn't go and I get nervous I will feed him some to loosen him up !

Jaimy Miller

I would ask the Vet if that could cause the diarrhea ? I know Speedy will get it from too much squash , or other foods of that type , in fact if he doesn't go and I get nervous I will feed him some to loosen him up !
Problem is, I don't really trust the vet :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes the sulcata's urine is brown. Are you sure what you're picturing as 'diarrhea' is really diarrhea and not urine?

A tortoise that eats a lot of plant matter and grass normally doesn't have loose stools.

Jaimy Miller

Sometimes the sulcata's urine is brown. Are you sure what you're picturing as 'diarrhea' is really diarrhea and not urine?

A tortoise that eats a lot of plant matter and grass normally doesn't have loose stools.
well it definitely is brown, but i have seen his urine also and it is crystal clear.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
so no parasites, then what is his diet like?

Jaimy Miller

I'm not totally convinced on the no parasite thing but I was told the sample was sent off to a lab for analysis and they said no parasite just some clostridium bacteria.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Every Spring (which can be mid-January here in San Diego) my sulcata's stools become loose, if not plain watery. I have a fecal sample done every year so I am reasonably sure it is not from parasites. His diet does change from Mazuri and hay with some grass and weeds to fresh new weeds and grasses only. Soon after our first rains the mallow comes in strong (late January) and becomes his main diet. Soon afterwards the dandelions, thistle, chicory, etc. are in abundance. The bermuda grass returns, the clovers get tall, and medics fill in the spaces. I think they all contain a lot of water and this along with a sudden change of diet cause the loose stools. Just in the last week his stools have gotten firmer. Soon he will be getting grape and mulberry leaves on a regular basis and he will be back to normal again. I actually fed a pile of grape leaves today.

What you are witnessing may be the normal adjustment of the intestinal tract to a change of diet. Especially to a diet that has a higher water content than the tortoise is used to. I would discourage you from using a medicine unless you are sure there are too many parasites present. It really could make the condition worse.

Jaimy Miller

Thanks so much for your response. I'm glad to say after some mazuri and all day grazing I haven't seen any loose stools in over a week! Yay! Actually almost two weeks now. I did not give the medicine and was waiting for one more episode to take him back to the vet but it hasn't happened. So hopefully you are right and he is just fine!

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
My first thought was what the hell are a bunch of nice normal people (us) doing judging tortoise poops.
That said my tortoise poo is probably softer that that right now.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Every Spring (which can be mid-January here in San Diego) my sulcata's stools become loose, if not plain watery. I have a fecal sample done every year so I am reasonably sure it is not from parasites. His diet does change from Mazuri and hay with some grass and weeds to fresh new weeds and grasses only. Soon after our first rains the mallow comes in strong (late January) and becomes his main diet. Soon afterwards the dandelions, thistle, chicory, etc. are in abundance. The bermuda grass returns, the clovers get tall, and medics fill in the spaces. I think they all contain a lot of water and this along with a sudden change of diet cause the loose stools. Just in the last week his stools have gotten firmer. Soon he will be getting grape and mulberry leaves on a regular basis and he will be back to normal again. I actually fed a pile of grape leaves today.

What you are witnessing may be the normal adjustment of the intestinal tract to a change of diet. Especially to a diet that has a higher water content than the tortoise is used to. I would discourage you from using a medicine unless you are sure there are too many parasites present. It really could make the condition worse.
I could have written the same reply. I am feeding and they are grazing tons of fresh moist Mallow,Thistle,and grape leafs. I was wondering if they could have picked up some bug but when kept in their indoor pen for a couple days in a row the stools firmed up nicely.