Help (baby with diarrhea, not eating)

Yahaira rojas

i just got a baby Sulcata I've had it for almost 2 months when I first got him he was doing just fine he'd eat and be very active but just 3 days ago I noticed He had pooped in diarrhea (first time pooping like that) form and I got a little worried he wouldn't eat he would just lay under his basking light and go in his hide at night and come out again in the morning to go back under the light and today he pooped but it wasn't diarrhea but it had like a stick in his poop (first time I noticed his poo had a stick and poo dark green color ) so I'm guessing he ate some bedding u soaked him in yesterday and today, I wanted to know if I should use organic potting soil and bark or what should I use for his bedding also if this is very bad medium bad or what and also I've notice he started only opening one eye and when he opens the other one it looks like he has a little "eye booger" what should I do

Yahaira rojas

what kind of bedding do you have him on and dose he rub at his ''eye booger''
I also moved him to a smaller temporary enclosure till I'm able to clean out his enclosure tomorrow but I have moss for humidity but I would like some ideas for a different type of bedding

gabby.santana

Location (City and/or State)
California
I like the coco nut coir. It keeps humidity and heat very well. Sometimes I see my boxie eat pieces of it when he eats his worms but I figure because it's natural he will just pass it. Plus I like the way it smells compared to dirt.

Yahaira rojas

I like the coco nut coir. It keeps humidity and heat very well. Sometimes I see my boxie eat pieces of it when he eats his worms but I figure because it's natural he will just pass it. Plus I like the way it smells compared to dirt.
Just coconut coir ? Will it also work for a Sulcata

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you look at the Sulcata section there is a caresheet that will give you good advice about diet, substrate temps and humidity etc.
The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you avoid or correct problems encountered by others and the Enclosures thread has some great ideas for a safe home for your tort. Also do a search for 'diarrhoea' to see if the posts there can answer any of you questions.
Also what sort of bulb are you using? Some can irritate/damage eyes.

gabby.santana

California
Both the CT and sulcata are torts that are from drier habitats but I still keep my CTs substrate moist