New to this forum.

Anastasia 22

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello đź‘‹
I got my Russian tortoise 2 months ago. I have no idea about his age because the store people never know anything about tortoises. I suspect he's 10-15 yo. He's really curious and active. I had already had an experience with Russian tortoise and it was not the best one. Now I am going to do everything possible to make my Little Boy happy.
I want to thank everyone here for sharing great usuful information.

Attachments

• 20240412_164951.jpg
    20240412_164951.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are right on his approximate age.
Give him a safe outdoor enclosure for summer, one he can't dig out of or climb out of, they are great escape artist. At night either bring him in to sleep or build a night box you can lock him in every night.

Anastasia 22

Texas
You are right on his approximate age.
Give him a safe outdoor enclosure for summer, one he can't dig out of or climb out of, they are great escape artist. At night either bring him in to sleep or build a night box you can lock him in every night.
I was thinking about an outdoor enclosure but I am not sure if it would be okay for him to stay the whole day under the "deadly" Central Texas Sun ......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was thinking about an outdoor enclosure but I am not sure if it would be okay for him to stay the whole day under the "deadly" Central Texas Sun ......
As long as you can build it where there is deep shade. Many, like in AZ will turn sprinklers or misters on to cool the area too.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Be careful of ants. We’ve had a lot of horror stories about tortoises killed by ants I think in Texas…

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome to the forum from South Florida.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thank you!
Snakes, foxes, coyotes might be a threat as well.....
cant speak to snakes but yes on coyote and foxes. Below is my outdoor enclosure and when warm enough to be out all night he is locked into the predator proof section in the back of the photo. But it’s not going to work against fire ants if you have them…

Attachments

• 077D6ADA-BCA1-4D6B-BBC0-7310B8168929.jpeg
    077D6ADA-BCA1-4D6B-BBC0-7310B8168929.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1

Anastasia 22

Texas
cant speak to snakes but yes on coyote and foxes. Below is my outdoor enclosure and when warm enough to be out all night he is locked into the predator proof section in the back of the photo. But it’s not going to work against fire ants if you have them…
OMG! That's an amazingly beautiful enclosure!!!
Fire ants and chiggers are everywhere here, unfortunately. That's why I always keep an eye on my guy when we're outside. I don't want anything bad happens to my baby.