My Tortoise Has Diarrhea :(

Rachel Lynn

My Russian tortoise, Sheldon, has very loose stool, possibly diarrhea. He eats mainly kale, collards, and dandelion leaves. When I first got him (only one week ago) I mistakenly fed him a small piece of cantaloupe, but haven't given him any fruit since. He seems to have a normal appetite (I feed him as much as he can eat in 20 mins.) I THINK that his diarrhea MIGHT also be caused by one of the following, but I'm not sure:
1. 2 days ago I started spraying a calcium supplement on his food. Shortly after, his diarrhea started.
2. I took him to the park and he ate some of the grass. When I noticed him doing this I put him on my lap so he would stop.
What should I do?

P.S. I'm not sure of his age, but from what I've learned online, he's anywhere between 1.5-6 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I don't see why this would be calcium related. I have seen wet poo more when my russian eats too many store bought greens. Your going to want to add more variety to your diet for a healthy tort. You may also want to take a stool sample to a vet to get a check for parasites.
Here's a care sheet, it will help you nail down your care.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Rachel Lynn

I don't see why this would be calcium related. I have seen wet poo more when my russian eats too many store bought greens. Your going to want to add more variety to your diet for a healthy tort. You may also want to take a stool sample to a vet to get a check for parasites.
Here's a care sheet, it will help you nail down your care.

Where do you recommend I get his greens? I do get them at the store, but they're not bagged or anything.

Rachel Lynn

Unfortunately I don't have the resources to grow my own :( I live in an apartment (I'm a college student). Is it possible to grow them inside? What do you recommend specifically?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, do you have a yard/garden? I pick my own, I know they are chemical free, and most of the yard is weedy anyway, so... yum!
EDIT-Oops, sorry! I just saw you other post. I grow seed mixes from tortoisesupply outside (just started for my russain for winter) and am hoping they'll survive moving indoors. They are easy to grow, so I think you could easily raise them inside.
What size is his enclosure? Parasites CAN be a cause of diarrhea.

Rachel Lynn

I have a very small front yard. And there are some plants (maybe weeds?) growing there. I definitely can't plant anything since I share it will other people and I live in Massachusetts (not much will grow very soon). But I can definitely grow some stuff indoors.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Here's a good web site to help you id weeds. Some store greens, if you have to, are fine but the key is to mix it up. I grow a lot inside. Or you can pick them from a yard you know has not been treated.
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp

If you must buy at a Grocery Store, here are some good Options

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Endive and escrole are two really good store greens too.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Okay. If your tort is longer than 3'' (that's reealllly pushing it) that is too small. Russains are territorial animals who need a lot of space to roam. Which is why tortoises and apartments tend not to mix very often :(
An adult 8'' russian does best outdoors, but we've learned that isn't a go right now, so inside he'll need at least 4x6 of space! Tortoises take up room and may not be the best pet for small space living :(

Rachel Lynn

I can definitely increase his living space by a foot or two - I was thinking of doing that anyways. I also take him out quite frequently so he often has free (supervised) roam of the apartment.