Cuttlefish bone

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Do you get salmonella from handling eggs or feeding eggs to your family or torts ? Tell your friend thank you for her advice but she don't know torts . Have a great day ! And now you know where bad advice comes from !
ON the news just last night was a piece on the epidemic being seen with over 4000 cases of salmonella from backyard chickens in the US!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
ON the news just last night was a piece on the epidemic being seen with over 4000 cases of salmonella from backyard chickens in the US!
And 4-5 years ago the news told about store bought pet food killing dogs and cats all over the world .It took 2 years to find that a man in China or Japan got a good deal on a chemical filler . But I'll bet there are a lot of people still giving store bought food to their cats and dogs today .

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
And 4-5 years ago the news told about store bought pet food killing dogs and cats all over the world .It took 2 years to find that a man in China or Japan got a good deal on a chemical filler . But I'll bet there are a lot of people still giving store bought food to their cats and dogs today .
I find this seriously dubious. How would hundreds of individual backyard suppliers end up with the salmonella issue at the same time? It shouldn't be possible.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I find this seriously dubious. How would hundreds of individual backyard suppliers end up with the salmonella issue at the same time? It shouldn't be possible.
The people who are getting salmonella from their backyard chickens probably don't take good care of them. Salmonella is everywhere, sort of like E. coli. Some people are affected by it and get sick and some people are not.
I have had backyard chickens for four years. I Feed raw dog and cat food and have been for almost 10 years. Never had an issue with salmonella with either one and I am definitely not a Germaphob who goes around cleaning everything all the time.
Not washing the protective bloom off your homegrown eggs and the act of hard boiling them are good ways to protect people and animals.

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
Here is the link to the CDC investigation. https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/live-poultry-05-16/index.html/

To say that backyard chicken egg harvesting was the reason is so out of line. I read the studies and investigations. They are claiming the link if the sick people reported being in contact with with any type of chicken, duck, or similar bird of any age even babies just touched at farm goods stores selling them in the past week. I would also assume this could be considered if you fed the ducks at the local pond. Or if you walked by a chicken in a yard or duck in a field. That would classify as a contact.

There was no direct proof of the source from any testing. This was a corporate response to the growing market of people starting to raise their own poultry products instead of just using the grocery/department stores. The report even made reference that this was the reason why the "record" number was achieved. By the way they don't include any numbers of total populations of those affected, or even comparative cases from the grocery store market cases. I wonder why? If only 5 people in a population of 800,000 is affected that is only a 0.001%. You might as well expect to win the lottery with those kinds of odds.
If you consider the actual wording of this topic it becomes clear. This is just a tiny , tiny percent of the cases verified for this issue from actual corporate distributors of the eggs. This is a scare tactic to stop people from being self reliant and not participating in the market. Same reason we are told not to use traditional medicine remedies and only rely on pharmaceutical concoctions we have to pay for and they control.

Apologies for rant, this is such a case of misrepresenting data its sad.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This caught my attention because of the genesis of the under 4" law for turtles. Not at all that many cases of "turtle related" salmonella resulted in that ban. Salmonella is a ubiquitous bacteria.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
This caught my attention because of the genesis of the under 4" law for turtles. Not at all that many cases of "turtle related" salmonella resulted in that ban. Salmonella is a ubiquitous bacteria.
I guess this has wandered pretty far from the OP. That said I'm responding here as it includes you two trailblazers. @Link

At last years TTPG conference one of the speakers was a medical statistician (for lack of a better name) and he presented that the original interpretation regarding the salmonella turtle linkage was very wrong. He reconfigured the data and interpretation and included it in the official record regarding Richard Fife's multi decade effort to overturn the "4" rule". I wish they would at least publish abstracts of talks.

TiffytheTort

I don't live in the US,i live in UK so I didn't even know about that. Wow :O

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't live in the US,i live in UK so I didn't even know about that. Wow :O
Salmonella and chickens is a well known link even in the UK.

Store bought chickens and eggs have to be reared and processed in strictly monitored conditions to minimise the risk.

Those raised by individuals for private use are not subject to this and the risk is greater.

Hygiene is everything. Don't rinse chicken under the tap as it splatters bacteria everywhere. Cook chicken thoroughly. Avoid raw eggs.

And, if using egg shell with pets, wash and dry the shells thoroughly - boil them for a couple of minutes even - before use.

In the wild it is entirely likely that tortoises will pick up discarded egg shells as a calcium supplement. They're programmed to chew white things - we see them going for white rocks, don't we. I suspect many fewer wander on beaches eating cuttlebone, but it's possible that some do.

Yes there's a hygiene risk in the wild too, but I guess wild tortoises have a degree of immunity to locally common bacteria.