Cuttlefish bone

TiffytheTort

Tiffy my Hermann tort will not eat cuttlefish bone. She has calcium dust fine. Any ideas?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You can scrape some powder off the cuttlebone and sprinkle that dust on food.
Sometimes tortoise will ignore them for months...Then one day decide to eat a whole one.
Keep one in the enclosure. Change it for a fresh one if it gets nasty.
Bird stores often sell broken ones for cheap.
Broken ones are still good.

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
I don't know I am sure I say a tortoise fishing once. It even had some cuddle fish on a stringer. :) I think it smoked the fish though for winter. Good point and kudos for explaining it logically. Luckily my sulcata started eating the cuddle-bone the day I put it in the box with him. I still give powder once a week in his food for now. Still only just around month old.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Would adult tortoises eat the eggshell without grinding it up. I am truely curious it sounds right.
I grind it in to a powder for all of my torts cause I don't want any sharp edges ! But a lot of people crush boiled eggs for the red foot torts !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not supposed to be good for torts. I don't recommend it.

I feed hard boiled eggs, shells and all, to my Manouria, RF and YF tortoises. Have been doing it for many years.

I put it whole on the feeding tile, then I mash it with the heel of my hand.

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
It's not supposed to be good for torts. I don't recommend it.
I've been raising torts for 17 years . I have leopard torts , Marginals, Russian , Greek , Egyptians, pancakes , Herrmans, AZ Desert torts , and 2 types of box turtles ! Please tell us your qualifications or is it that your just guessing.

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
I grind it in to a powder for all of my torts cause I don't want any sharp edges ! But a lot of people crush boiled eggs for the red foot torts !
Yeah and we harvest our eggs from our own chickens. So less chance of foreign chemicals or additives. We do however still use feed from store. So who knows if we are doing any better...

Liamo

Malta, south Mediterranean
Dear Tortoise fans,

I am pretty new to tortoise keeping and I am concerned about Terry getting enough calcium. I have bough some cuttlebone and I am wondering if it is ok if I kind of shave pieces off the cuttlebone in like a powder form and into his food? Would this be an ok way to get some calcium into him?

Cheers

Hi! I have had this concern too, they should chew it but if you don't see that I don't see what's wrong with shaving it as long as your tortoise eats it. You could also let it dissolve in its bath. Then it would soak into him. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dear Tortoise fans,

I am pretty new to tortoise keeping and I am concerned about Terry getting enough calcium. I have bough some cuttlebone and I am wondering if it is ok if I kind of shave pieces off the cuttlebone in like a powder form and into his food? Would this be an ok way to get some calcium into him?

Cheers

Yes,it's perfectly fine to shave crumbs off the cuttlebone for your tortoise.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Said there's a risk of salmonella contamination. Please tell me if I'm wrong or not. Organic is fine. That's what she told me anyway @Grandpa Turtle 144
Do you get salmonella from handling eggs or feeding eggs to your family or torts ? Tell your friend thank you for her advice but she don't know torts . Have a great day ! And now you know where bad advice comes from !